Hotfix list not available RRS feed

• Question

• After applying the latest hotfixes from Microsoft to a Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 server, the operating system no longer can provide a list of installed patches in the server. if I go to the add/remover program and click on "View installed updates" none update is listed as if none was installed. The same happens when I type systeminfo in the command prompt, the output says hotfix: N/A. If I run a patch by hand, Windows says it's already installed in the system. So it seems a problem to list the installed patches only, because their installation succeed.

The patches are installed by a proprietary script with the /quiet and /norestart parameters. After the server is rebooted only once.

Not all servers are having this problem. Most of them are working fine after patching and reboot.

Does anyone know any workaround to fix it ? or already had the same problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Ricardo,

Please follow the instructions from the following website to download and run System Update Readiness Tool on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If the issue is not resolved after running the tool, please post the result of CheckSUR.log (%windir%\logs\cbs\checksur.log) and ServerManager.log (inside C:\Windows\Logs) here and I will help you check it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, August 6, 2010 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I was wondering if you are able to list them through WMI, from a command
    prompt run

wmic qfe list full

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I also cannot query the hotfixes by using WMI. The result of the command you gave me (wmic qfe list full) is: "No Instances available"

Another interesting thing is that in the server menager mmc, the server roles are also not working. I noticed in the event viewer that the service "Windows Modules Installer" is stopping everytime I try to query the hotfix list or open the server manager.

Ricardo

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:29 PM
  • If you manually start the Windows Modules Installer service, will it
    stay started? Also, do you have any errors being reported by the
    application or system event logs?

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Also,

Is there anything interesting in

C:\Windows\Logs\ServerManager.log
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

Please follow the instructions from the following website to download and run System Update Readiness Tool on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If the issue is not resolved after running the tool, please post the result of CheckSUR.log (%windir%\logs\cbs\checksur.log) and ServerManager.log (inside C:\Windows\Logs) here and I will help you check it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, August 6, 2010 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:47 AM