none
Windows 10 Home - Continue to use Password - Stop asking to Create a Pin ? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, I've not found a good answer to this elsewhere:

I am running Windows 10 Home and I require a username and password.  For my account, I use my email address.  I'm happy with this solution - I understand the potential benefits of setting a PIN.  I choose not to do so.   Since the last update, every time I log into my account I am FORCED to click "Next" to creating a Pin, then Cancel, then "I'll set up a PIN later". 

Because it's Windows 10 Home, I don't have GPEDIT on this box.  And because I WANT password security, turning off the password requirement to avoid being asked to setup a PIN isn't a solution.  I would really rather not set up a local account.  

There doesn't seem to be a "Thanks for offering but STOP ASKING ME ALREADY and just ACCEPT I WANT TO USE A PASSWORD to log into this computer." option.   I'm hoping someone knows where that option is hidden in the vastness of the registry?

Monday, May 21, 2018 2:00 AM

Answers

• Did you create a PIN before you link the local account to a Microsoft account?

Here are some methods that you can try:

1. Click I forget my PIN link-enter your windows password to verify your account-press Cancel button-Now the PIN is removed

2.Disconnect the Microsoft account and sign in with local account- remove the pin code in UI- Type regedit in Search box- find 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions]

set the “value”=dword:00000000

Then reconnect to a Microsoft account.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:14 AM
  • Well, the final answer was a mix of three things.

1 - Set the registry key suggested by Vivan Zhou.

2 - Create a Pin

3 - Forget my Pin and do not create a pin.  This includes having to select that I'll set up a pin later (as per normal).

4 - Finally, choose the password button for other login options at the login prompt.  An option that didn't exist before.

Of Course, Windows tells me at the login prompt that something is wrong and my pin is blank.  but.... I can handle that better than telling Windows each time that I really don't want to set one up in the first place.

• Marked as answer by Ryan Kolter Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:41 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:41 PM

All replies

• Did you create a PIN before you link the local account to a Microsoft account?

Here are some methods that you can try:

1. Click I forget my PIN link-enter your windows password to verify your account-press Cancel button-Now the PIN is removed

2.Disconnect the Microsoft account and sign in with local account- remove the pin code in UI- Type regedit in Search box- find 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions]

set the “value”=dword:00000000

Then reconnect to a Microsoft account.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:14 AM
  • Have you resolved the problem?

If my suggestions did any help, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Well, the final answer was a mix of three things.

1 - Set the registry key suggested by Vivan Zhou.

2 - Create a Pin

3 - Forget my Pin and do not create a pin.  This includes having to select that I'll set up a pin later (as per normal).

4 - Finally, choose the password button for other login options at the login prompt.  An option that didn't exist before.

Of Course, Windows tells me at the login prompt that something is wrong and my pin is blank.  but.... I can handle that better than telling Windows each time that I really don't want to set one up in the first place.

• Marked as answer by Ryan Kolter Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:41 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:41 PM