Flash Drives Slow Down in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Even on a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate edition, it takes 90 minutes to format a 16Gb SanDisk Cruzer Blade flash drive! It takes an hour just to fill it up with 15 1Gb mkv video files! I'm using a Pentium i7 on an MSI Eclipse motherboard, with 12Gb of RAM and a GeForce GTX295 - with all drivers etc updated to whatever's latest available.

On a much older and slower MSI Shuttle running Windows XP SP3, the same tasks on the same flash drive- formatting takes seconds while transferring takes just a few minutes. Looking through the forum I see that many others are having similar problems. Nothing that's been posted seems to work. Is this a major glitch in Windows 7? I've tried reformatting the flash drive as FAT32, NTFS, and that new exFAT- to no improvement under Windows 7.

Also- why is it that in Windows 7, even after I 'eject' my flash drives (ie Transcend), the light indicator on them is still lit? In Windows XP the flash drive's light would switch off after I eject them.

Thank you.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1 .Whenever you attand to Format drive, make sure that one of the Format option is selected as the Quick Format.

2. Also, go to Device Manager, and under Disk drivers, select the USB one, right-click, properties, Policy Tab - and select Quick Removal. the option will give you quick removal without Safely Remove Notification Icon.

3. Try also, update the USB Flash drivers using the same properites window.

4. Make sure that ReadyBoots is disable or Not in use for your PC.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:36 AM