none
Why did my computer start displaying dashcam photos spontaneously? RRS feed

• Question

• I just turned my monitor back on after leaving the PC idling for an hour or so, and I saw what looked like a dashcam photo (showing dashboard and windscreen-mounted smartphone holder in the foreground, and a streetscape in the back ground) taking up about 1/3 of the screen. The rest of the screen was black (not my wallpaper). As I watched, another image displayed in which only the streetscape changed. When I woke up the computer by moving the mouse, the image disappeared.

It did look like my smartphone holder but I don't recognise the photo and don't have a dashcam. So, I don't believe those were my photos, but I can't discount the possibility 100%.

I recently had the PC rebuilt, and the vendor installed Windows 10 for me (using my old Windows 7 Premium product ID and a free upgrade to Windows 10).

I can think of two possibilities: (1) OneDrive (or something) is uploading my photos without being asked; (2) I've got a bot or some kind of malware that Windows & Norton can't detect.

Am I being paranoid?

Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:27 AM

All replies

• "When I woke up the computer by moving the mouse, the image disappeared"--- Sounds like malware. If you just had your computer restored, another computer on the network may be compromised. Attackers can move laterally through your network. Also check if your vendor has set up remote access. If they did, check if they accessed this computer around that time. If they didn't but have RDP or remote access of some kind set up, authentication needs to be looked at. Good luck.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:05 AM