Icons disappear immediately after renaming. RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Win 7 Upgrade from XP.  I renamed a couple of icons, and they immediately disappear from the desktop after hitting "enter".  Then, after shut down and restart, the missing icon reappears with the edited name.  Any thoughts on how to cure this? Or is this just one of the new quirks to add to the list of things that will be fixed asap after 7 has been on the streets for awhile.

(I've been reading quite a few posts about what other people are experiencing with 7, and I feel like I must be one of the lucky ones if this is all I've got giving me problems so far.)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Try right click on empty desktop space and drop down to "refresh" - might help a bit quicker than reboot.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Hi Mickey,

You may try the following steps to check the issue.

Disable UAC

================

1. Click the Start Button, type "User account control" and press Enter.

2. When the User account control settings box appears, move the slider to Never notify.

3. Click OK.

If it does not work, I also suggest you create a new user account to check the issue.

If the issue persists, you may also test the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,
       I suspect any virus is hraming ur PC. Does ur PC has any antivirus software installed??
    Thanks & Regards Roopesh Reddy
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I've seen this a few times as well and I'm still running RC1. I suspect a logoff and logon would also show the renamed icons, though why this is necessary is beyond me.

When all else fails, blame UAC!

Rich
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Hi Mickey,

You may try the following steps to check the issue.

Disable UAC

================

1. Click the Start Button, type "User account control" and press Enter.

2. When the User account control settings box appears, move the slider to Never notify.

3. Click OK.

If it does not work, I also suggest you create a new user account to check the issue.

If the issue persists, you may also test the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Try right click on empty desktop space and drop down to "refresh" - might help a bit quicker than reboot.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll look at the problem from each suggestion and see what happens. Thanks again!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:46 AM
  • I have the same problem .. Just refresh the screen after it disappears.
    I'm assuming this is just something else I'll have to live with.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Are you sure it is not a problem of the icons moving somewhere else because of the alphabetic sort order? The new Windows Explorer moves files as soon as you rename them. Then you need to navigate to their new position based on the type of sorting you use and find them. Fantastic usability!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:35 PM
  • This happens on some W7 configurations .. I’m not sure what causing the Problem.
    I’ve checked some store OEM’s and they do not have this problem.

I’ve installed W7 without the reserved partition in front of the System partition ..
    And have the UAC nag utility turned off.
    Not sure if one of these setups is causing it.

Just do a screen refresh after they disappear … Quicker than rebooting.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi Mickey, I am also facing the same issue as you here. Right after renaming the icons of programs it disappear right away. For some reason, when i tested with other files such as notepad documents(i.e right click>new>text document>renaming) it didn't disappear at all... the same goes for essentials such as Computer and Recycle Bin.

Have not faced this issue in a prior installation of Windows 7.

Does Microsoft want us to submit a report for diagnostic?
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi Mickey,

Have you try the above suggestions to troubleshoot the issue?

What is the current situation?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hi Mickey,

I have had the same issue on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for about a week.

I even created a new user profile attempting to fix it.
    It didn't work. Icons still disappear when renamed and only reappear on manual refresh (F5).

I have however, narrowed it down to the fact that only the icons that are also on the Public Desktop (as well as my profile - adminstrator) are affected.

Turning off the UAC nag made no difference.

Don't you just love the way Microsoft have marked the issue as "answered" when it it has not been answered at all?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Arthur,

This is not a satisfactory answer. The problem is not solved at all!
    Users should NOT have to manually refresh the desktop just to see their icons.

Do your job properly and investigate the issue.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:47 AM
  • I haven't seen this but there may be a common program or driver installed on the affected systems reported here. We may narrow it down be comparing programs and hardware from the affected systems. 
    Seesons greetings!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Hi Dr Geek,

I do notice that some users encounter this issue, but not all users. I will report this special issue.

Our suggestions cannot fix your issue, but it may fix Mickey’s or others’.

Thanks for your feedback.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:10 AM
  • I too have this same problem with Windows 7. When I rename an icon on the desktop, it dissapears after pressing the return key. The workaround is to refresh the desktop by right-clicking the desktop and then selecting refresh. But, I should'nt have to do that. I hope Microsoft listens to the complaints on these forums and fixes the issues in SP1, which I hope comes soon.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:43 PM
  • I have tried the suggestion here about changing the UAC, but that doesn't make a difference. It is just a bug in Windows 7 that needs to be fixed.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:44 PM
  • I think this issue correlates with another one maybe: Folder refreshing problem. I think it because the workaround is manual refresh by hitting F5.
    Check these threads:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/9d1ede23-2666-4951-b3b9-b6c1ce3d1ebf

Microsoft answerers admitted the folder refreshing problem is a known issue of Windows 7! Sorry, there is no solution to fix it yet.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:02 AM
  • In some cases the Recycle Bin does not automatically refresh. Starting with the beta, continued with RC and still not fixed with the RTM.
    Seasons greetings!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:46 AM
  • I've updated the LAN driver, but it did not help. But it's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
    Have You got any idea?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I tried disabling my network adapters but I had no change so who knows.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:08 AM
  • slahart:
    Do You have shared folders on your system?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Finally I've reinstalled the whole system (clean install Win7 + all of the other softwares).
    I DO NOT USE FILE SHARING and all of the options correlate with it are turned off (I left network type Public as default during install, file sharing and network discovery turned off, don't share any folder of course).
    The issue did not occur yet. I'm testing now, later I'll post a long-term result.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:37 PM
  • The issue occurs again after the clean, 2 days old installation. File Sharing turned off. I've got no ideas. I have to return to my previous perceptions. If I disable the network adapter, the issue does not occur. Could You tell me all of You, what kind of network adapter have you got?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:38 PM
  • This is not related to UAC, User Accounts or System Builds. I have renamed icons on over 450!! 100% difrent machines (I am a system builder) and this always happens. Its a bug with Windows 7 and probably one of the few I have found.

I hope it gets fixed by a hotfix or a service pack in the future... its realy annoying.
    • Proposed as answer by pinfotech Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:59 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:58 AM
  • I didnt belive it till I tryed it for my self. I renamed one of my program links (.lnk) on my desktop to see what would happen and wouldnt you know it. Its magic trick time, gather around boys and girls. The link (.lnk) compleatly vanished in to cyber thin air!!! wow so totaly supper cool. Top that one Apple HA! The magic key to bring it back was pressing F5 and walaaaaaa its back! ohhhh awwwww amazing. Right before my eyes the program link I had just renamed came back to my desktop. This funness was never included in windows NT,95,98,ME,2000,XP or vista. Thank you so much for the dissapering links magic trick lol
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Same problem. Defcon 1 has the solution. Right click where the icon was & then refresh. Works like a charm!

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:33 AM