RemoteApp error when launching file from Windows 7 desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'am publishing Office 2007 and adobe reader from Windows 2008 R2 Remote desktop.
    I've created the msi file from the remoteapp console (i've checked the option to replace client file extension).
    the generated Msi files are stored in a network share folder
    i'am using Windows 2003 DC GPO to publish application to Windows 7 desktop

The programs are publish on the windows 7 desktop and when launching them, word, excel, reader are running correctly.

But when launching a .docx, .xlsx, .pdf file from the windows 7 desktop, remoteapp said that the program can't be found.

strangely, if i launch the same file from the network, it runs correctly !

why this happened ? what's wrong ?

Thanks
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:20 AM

Answers

• Hello Bertrand,

Based on my experience, you can fix this issue by enabling local drive redirection. You can consider to enable it on the RD Session Host configurations or in the group policy level.

The group policy setting for enabling drive redirection is at:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Device and Resource Redirection\ Do not allow drive redirection: Disabled.

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hello Bertrand,

Based on my experience, you can fix this issue by enabling local drive redirection. You can consider to enable it on the RD Session Host configurations or in the group policy level.

The group policy setting for enabling drive redirection is at:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Device and Resource Redirection\ Do not allow drive redirection: Disabled.

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:46 AM
  • When you made the MSI did you specifiy that the extensions on the client computer to be associated with the RemoteApp?
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!) 

I finally started my blog: blog.kristinlgriffin.com
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hello

yes, the client extensions are associated with remote app.

the problem was local drive redirection was disable from RDP properties on server.

Thanks for your support.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Id like to open this up again...  I am testing the remoteapp feature in windows 2008.  It is very cool.

I installed Adobe reader on the server, and created the msi.  I did choose the option to have extensions on the client computer to be associated with the RemoteApp.  Also local drive redirection is on. 

I can open Adobe reader then navigate to my local desktop via the locally redirected drive and open the pdf. 

But I can't simply double click on the pdf from my desktop.

Ideas?
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:57 PM
  • When I double click the PDF i get this error:

The remote comptuer is not configured to open the type of data file that you are attempting to open.
    The complete name of the file that you are trying to open is:
    c:\users\ken\desktop\p919.pdf
    For assistance, contact yoru system administrator.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Hi Ken,

There are a few things that can cause this error. Try double-checking the following:

• Double-check that Adobe Reader is still published as a RemoteApp program on the Terminal Server (i.e. when you open up the RemoteApp Manager UI, it's listed as a RemoteApp Program).
    • Double-check that, when you you log onto the TS directly and double-click on a pdf file, it opens with Adobe Reader.

Hope that helps,
    Travis

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Adobe Reader is still published are a RemoteApp on the TS.
    When I double click a pdf on the server it opens with no trouble.

everything appears to be set up correctly.

The client computer is not a domain member, but that shouldn't matter since this is what RemoteApp was designed for.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Can you check the following setting?

On the TS, open up RemoteApp Manager, and open the Properties for the Adobe Reader RemoteApp Program. In the properties dialog, what is the setting under the Command-line arguments section?

The reason I'm asking you to check this is, when you run the RemoteApp Program to open the file, a check is performed on the TS to make sure it's one of the allowed applications to be run as a RemoteApp. The value of the command-line arguments setting can impact how this check is performed, and it's possible that this could cause the behavior you're seeing.

Travis
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:09 AM
  • No problem, I am only running this on a test box to see how it works.

There is nothing in the Command-line arguments section.  Should there be?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:39 PM
  • I found that when I could not open remote apps from documents on the client I would get an error starting "the terminal server is not configured to open the type of data file".

If I recreated the Remote App MSI and allowed for Any Extension to be set (the Remote App program will display "unrestricted" in the main display) then the application would work.

Brainier
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:00 AM