Activation lost RRS feed

• Question

• After installetion of SP 2 Beta my Vista activation got lost and I was asked to reactivate Vista.
    Though I tried to uninstall but my system tells me that "No updates are installed on this Computer".
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 12:11 AM

Answers

• The evaluation notice is normal, that is how it should be because you are using a beta SP.

I have an idea that my activation suddenly failed due to a problem I had and I reseted my bios, forgetting to set the date back to correct.

So I booted with the wrong date and the activation error poped up with SP2.

Regards,

Jannie

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• This also just happend to me.

Vista Bussiness RTM updated to SP1 with standalone installer x86

SP2 installed in about 12min on friday evening, and was running till this morning, suddenly after a reboot a re-activation warning window poped up.

I tried to reactivate online but did not help.

I then used the manual option via telephone and robot operator gave me a new activation code, I entered it, but still there was a activation refusal.

I then uninstalled SP2 and after 2nd reboot  I was back to SP1 and fully activated.

I then tried to install SP2 twice but after  3 of 3  at 100% completion it gave a warning that sp2 updtae was not successfull and system is reverting back.

After some time I was back on SP1 fully activated.

But SP2 now refuses to install.

I just fornmated vista and re-installed my Vista Bussiness SP1 X64 version.

Going to install the standalone x64 SP2 now.

Regards,

Jannie

Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Same thing happened to me after I installed SP2.  It just says at the bottom right of the desktop Windows Vista (TM) Evaluation Copy. Build 6002.  Oh well, that's why testers are needed. 
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:49 AM
  • The evaluation notice is normal, that is how it should be because you are using a beta SP.

I have an idea that my activation suddenly failed due to a problem I had and I reseted my bios, forgetting to set the date back to correct.

So I booted with the wrong date and the activation error poped up with SP2.

Regards,

Jannie

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:10 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I installed the standalone version and the dates before and after SP2 had been the same.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Hi.  I also have the comment "Evaluation Copy" on the bottom-right of my desktop screens, but when I check Control Panel->System it says I'm still activated ok..

So, what I'm saying is that maybe you don't have an activation problem....

/jim
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Also have the "Evaluation copy"-text in bottom right corner. Actually went ahead and re-activated and the text has since disappeared from monitor 1, but still shines nice and bright on monitor 2.

Will that text disappear with my installing the SP2 final once it's out? ... or will I need to uninstall SP2 beta first?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Same here....Activation lost after SP2 install, returned to Windows is Activated "Normal" after uninstalling. IE hang ups, Media Player hangs, Right-click hangs, and other various problems. A very buggy Beta. More like an Alpha release, if you ask me.
    Uninstall from Add/Remove Programs....Installed Updates....Service Pack
    • Proposed as answer by mrdood_99205 Monday, February 2, 2009 4:24 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Uninstalled SP2 from the PC too. Still have it running on the notebook, though: But that's going to be needing a clean reinstall sometime soon in any case.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:32 AM
  • u have to uninstall sp2 before may1,2010 it wont work afterwards btw same evaluation problem after uninstalling sp2
    any solution what to do?? help plz
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:27 PM
  • this has helped me it works follow this link everyone those who have installed VISTA sp2
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/03/get-rid-of-and-remove-evaluation-copy-watermark-in-vista-after-installating-sp1/
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:32 PM
  • this has helped me it works follow this link everyone those who have installed VISTA sp2
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/03/get-rid-of-and-remove-evaluation-copy-watermark-in-vista-after-installating-sp1/
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:33 PM