Issue with a printer in Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) RRS feed

• Question

• The printer is an old HP LaserJet P2015 connected to a Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) machine.  Every morning, when the user boots the computer up and logs in, that printer will show as an unknown device under Devices and Printers.  The actual printer icon for the P2015 will be grayed out.  If you just turn the printer off and back on the unknown device goes away, and the P2015 icon will go back to ready.  I have tried multiple USB cable and ports on the computer and a powered USB hub.  I've tried multiple drivers, and the only one that really wants to work is the actual HP driver for the P2015 (which took a while to find).  The HP universal print drivers all have their own quirks with it.  I've adjusted power setting for maximum efficiency, ran sfc /scannow, ran chkdsk /r, and some other things that I cannot remember.  Is there anything I can try that I didn't list?
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• BTW, I'm perfectly content with them rebooting the printer every morning once they log in.  I also forgot to mention that I've tried restarting the print spooler and deleting the contents of C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 and reinstalling drivers.
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

Have you got any error messages? Did the issue occur before?

Based on your description, first please check the connection between printer and your laptop, make sure it works properly.

More often than not when a device isn't working it is because the driver has become corrupted, please update the driver to the latest version or try compatibility mode and check the result.

Have you updated the latest driver from HP official website?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-p2015-printer-series/1845551/model/1845561

I also found the similar issue which mentioned on HP website.

HP Printers - 'Device Setup Failed' or 'Unknown Device' Message Displays During USB Installation (Windows)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02266743

In addition, for HP printer issue, you can also connect HP support for further help.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:28 AM
  • HI Guys, 

I have this same problem and at every attempt to re-install the drive for a P2015 Hp Laser jet

the printer appears to install and then populates the printer to no avail. Did all these steps and 

continue to have this issue with this one computer????? Printer will print from other 

workstations and just not this one ????

Anyone know how to totally uninstall the drivers from this computer and start 

fresh? 

Sunday, August 27, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Did you get this issue resolved?
    Monday, February 12, 2018 3:26 PM