2012 RD Licensing Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm working with a RDS 2012 Session Based deployment and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with:

1) I'm attempting to install licenses from an Enterprise Agreement and in The Install Licenses Wizard when I specify the licenses are Server 2012 Per User CALs there is a note stating "Ensure that the licensing mode is set to Per Device." Is this a typo or am I missing something?

2) From what I've read it appears the only way to specify a license server on a Session Host (since the Session Host Configuration Tool has been dropped) is via PowerShell or to specify the license server via Group Policy or gpedit.exe. If this is true does my license server still need to be added to the Terminal Server License Servers Domain group if I'm already specifying the license server on the Session Host?

3) We do not have a collection in our current setup.  If I edit the deployment properties and change the RD Licensing mode to either Per User or Per Device the change is not reflected in RD Licensing Diagnoser on the other servers in my deployment. I made the change on my main RDSM server and when that didn't work I changed it on my RD Licensing server. Still no luck. However, if I create a collection with all the servers in my deployment as members and change the license mode on the collection then the change cascades. I didn't think collections were required so am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Dennis

• Edited by dventet Monday, September 23, 2013 2:46 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

1. Yes, it is a typo.  Your licensing mode should match the type of purchased RDS CALs you own.

2. Normally in Server 2012 you would specify the license server in deployment properties.  If the RDSH server is not part of a collection then you would use group policy or manual registry edit.  Yes, your RD Licensing server should be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group.  This group gives the RD License server rights to AD.

3. RDSH servers need to be part of a collection for the settings to be applied to them.

-TP

• Marked as answer by dventet Monday, September 23, 2013 3:02 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

1. Yes, it is a typo.  Your licensing mode should match the type of purchased RDS CALs you own.

2. Normally in Server 2012 you would specify the license server in deployment properties.  If the RDSH server is not part of a collection then you would use group policy or manual registry edit.  Yes, your RD Licensing server should be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group.  This group gives the RD License server rights to AD.

3. RDSH servers need to be part of a collection for the settings to be applied to them.

-TP

• Marked as answer by dventet Monday, September 23, 2013 3:02 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for the clear, concise answers TP!
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:02 PM