forwarding outgoing emails RRS feed

• Question

• I set up incoming mail for a couple of our users to forward to my boss, but my boss also wants to see outgoing emails as well.

There are a couple of options that I can see for this.  I could give him full access permission to the mailboxes in question and he could look at what was in the sent items.  The only thing is that users could theoretically delete messages before a manager monitoring said account ever saw the email.

I've read about journaling, but from what I understand that would involve creating an entirely separate mailbox where the recorded email would be sent.  I could add my boss' account as having full access to this journaling mailbox.

Another option that I've heard is using transport rules to bcc messages to and from someone.

Are there any other methods using stock Exchange 2010 without any commercial add on tools?  As far as I can tell there is no

Friday, December 2, 2011 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If I were you ,I prefer to use journaling, all incoming and outgoing emails will be jounaled to certain mailbox.

Besides, I'd like to share one more informaiton:

Configure a Moderated Recipient

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298007.aspx

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:36 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:37 AM
  • The transport rules work by BCC'ing another mailbox.  However, you have to be careful that the target mailbox never goes over limit, etc. and sends out an NDR.  The NDR will go to the 'monitored' mailbox.  Also, watch your hub transport performance when you setup transport rules.  I've seen transport rules bring down a server in no time based on the number of messages being filtered/forwarded/etc.

Journaling is definitely the best option here, IMO and experience in production environments.

Good luck.

Travis

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• Depend whether you can let the mailbox owner know you are forwarding his email or not , if yes the easiet way is set the outlook client rules. Check on email after sending
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

If I were you ,I prefer to use journaling, all incoming and outgoing emails will be jounaled to certain mailbox.

Besides, I'd like to share one more informaiton:

Configure a Moderated Recipient

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298007.aspx

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:36 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:37 AM
  • The transport rules work by BCC'ing another mailbox.  However, you have to be careful that the target mailbox never goes over limit, etc. and sends out an NDR.  The NDR will go to the 'monitored' mailbox.  Also, watch your hub transport performance when you setup transport rules.  I've seen transport rules bring down a server in no time based on the number of messages being filtered/forwarded/etc.

Journaling is definitely the best option here, IMO and experience in production environments.

Good luck.

Travis

• Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:43 PM