Adobe programs crashing printer spooler (windows 7) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a Dell laptop with Windows 7. Everything is peachy, except I'm having problems with one particular printer. 

The printer is a Ricoh Aficio 5700 (color inkjet) that I use in my business *every day*. However, I've never been able to successfully print from adobe programs (such as a .pdf file)

I can print from other programs (like notepad or quickbooks) to that printer, but once I start using adobe or try to print a .pdf, my print spooler crashes and I can't print anything. 

I've updated my adobe software (including things like flash), I've used the built-in windows troubleshooter, I've manually restarted the printer spooler and tried again, I've looked at other forums and reinstalled the driver from disk and the manufacturer's web site, i've tried *everything* I can think of to resolve this issue. 

I'm not very geeky, but it seems to be a specific incompatibility between adobe products and windows 7 (and maybe my printer). I'm hoping someone has resolved a similar issue, because it's really making me crazy that I can't use my machines the way the machine gods intended. 

Any additional advice or experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I realize I may be posting this in an incorrect forum topic, and if so, my apologies. 
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

After the print spooler crashing, can you print other program like notpad?

Are you using Adobe Acrobat? If so, read this. Check which situation apply to you.  Is it the part "Resolve problems printing any PDF file to a PostScript printer"?

In order to printe PDF file, you need a special Adobe PDF printer driver, It is suggested to install PostScript® Printer driver from Adobe offical website, refer to http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/. And yes, Adobe should be the best resource on resolving this issue. You can also post the adobe version and we can find the corresponding driver.

On the operating system side, I suggest boot into clean boot to test the issue in case certain program is conflicting with Adobe.

Clean Boot
    =============
    This method will disable loading program or service from start up to avoid conflict

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:34 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:22 AM