none
Immersive Control Panel not working RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried everything I can find on google, nothing corrects the problem.  I've reset the device twice and it still does not work.

Settings does not launch.  Anything that has to do with the modernized control panel just does not launch.  

Right click desktop go to personalize and ms-settings:personalization-background fails stating there is no program associated.

Whats the poop and how does one fit it?

TIA 

• Edited by Milo145 Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try to use other user account to see if it can work?

Is there any error message?

Here are some methods for your reference to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Please try to boot into safe mode or use clean boot to see if the issue still occur.

Here is a link about boot into safe mode.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Here is a link about use clean boot for your reference.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

2. Please try to run following command  to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

2.1 Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2.2 Type sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then press Enter.

3. Please type appwiz.cpl in search box and then press Enter to see if the Control Panel window open.

4. Please check the File Association for Control Panel files. (*.cpl files in %SystemRoot%\System32 folder) Here is a screenshot.

In addition, please check for and install any available updates. (Type Check for updates in search box , then select Check for updates. )

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:12 AM
  • Thank you so much for the reply.

Like I said I've tried everything I can find online.

1. Still won't launch

2. Initial scan found no issues.  Renamed ImmersiveControlPanel folder and ran SFC again to rebuild the folder and still won't launch.

3.  Old school Control Panel works without issue

4.  Both files are associated as control panel items

5.  Can't run updates because I can't get into settings

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Is that if you use other user account it still can’t work?

Did you try to run following command to re-register Settings app?

If no, please try to take following steps.

1. In the search box on taskbar, type powershell and right click on Windows PowerShell from results, select Run as administrator.

2. Next, type following command and hit Enter key:

Get-AppxPackage * immersivecontrolpanel *

3. Previous step command will show immersivecontrolpanel installed on your Windows 10 with details. For each app, there is a InstallLocation, copy the path.

4. Please run then following command to re-register the app.

Add-AppxPackage -register " InstallLocation \appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode .

(example: Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode)

Note: InstallLocation from step 3

If yes, I think if you have Windows installation media, please try to do an in-place grade.

Here are links for your reference.

How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-with-windows-10/7f0b236e-3c6c-4913-9691-c4baa2a6190a

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Good Morning and thank you for the reply.  I think you are headed in the right direction of the problem.

get-appxpackage *immersivecontrolpanel* 

Version : 6.2.0.0

The machine I'm using now has the same version as you show in your screen shot.  Did a Winver on both the problem machine is 1709 16299.12 and my current machine is the same ver.  Maybe copying immersivecontrolpanel folder from a known good to the problem machine and registering appxpackage is the answer.  I'll try that now and report back.

Thank you again

Friday, January 26, 2018 2:39 PM
  • UPDATE:  

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Could you check the AppXDeployment-Server event log in Event Viewer? (Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> AppXDeployment-Server )

Please check if following thread link could give you more information.

Add-AppxPackage : ... HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered. Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the **PACKAGE_NAME** ....

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35d5669c-a5af-4c14-b3cd-8cdb5c745525/addappxpackage-hresult-0x80073cf6-package-could-not-be-registered-merge-failure-error?forum=win10itprogeneral

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:09 AM
  • AppxDeployment-Server event log shows the same results as Get-Appxlog -ActivityID.

For some reason the the files is not found even though the files is there.  I tried everything in the link provided but it's still an issue.

• Edited by Milo145 Monday, January 29, 2018 5:01 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

I think you could do an in-place upgrade. Please remember save your data when you do it.

Here are links for your reference.

How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-with-windows-10/7f0b236e-3c6c-4913-9691-c4baa2a6190a

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Thank you.  Was thinking this would be the end result.  
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

Because you have deleted the original package folder, so in-place upgrade could repair the problem. It can save your files and folders, but I still recommend you to do a backup.

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

• Edited by Vera Hu Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi:

An in-place upgrade did the trick for the machine.  It's back in production and humming along now.

I've been testing out managing our new Windows 10 surface machines with Azure/Intune.  Everything looks functional so I figured I'd to a Factory Reset to see if it works correctly and is a viable solution.

The reset fired off and when this new machine came back around it's exhibiting the exact same problem as the first.  Did a get-appxpackage *immersivecontrolpanel* and wouldn't you know version 6.2.0.0

I think there is a problem with resetting these machines.

The original OS is Windows 10 S 1709 16299.192.  I'm upgrading it to Pro again via the Windows store. 

• Edited by Milo145 Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

The problem on your original post is resolved, so please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly. It also helps us to close this case.

Thanks for your understanding.

And please post your current problem in a new post, it will help us to solve your issue as soon as possible.

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:47 AM