Problem with pinning the icons to taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• It seems my taskbar (Windows 7) has problems with pinning the icons of programmes to it. I don't know why, but for some reason when I want to add an icon of any programme to my taskbar right-clicking the icon, it doesn't work at all. Dragging-and-dropping of the icon doesn't work either. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this problem, and how to fix it?

P.S.: I do not have my taskbar full of icons yet, there's space enough to add new ones to it still. The function of pinning the icons to taskbar worked after I have installed Windows 7 to my PC, the problem appeared suddenly, recently, and I am not able to track the cause of it, or to resolve it.

Friday, June 5, 2009 5:12 PM

Answers

• DreamingWolf,

Does this behavior occur on all user accounts, or only one?

I'd Try performing an "in-place upgrade" of Windows 7 by inserting the DVD while the computer is running. This is the same procedure as one would use to upgrade from Vista, and typically does a good job of replacing any missing or corrupted system files.
    -Alex
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• DreamingWolf,

Does this behavior occur on all user accounts, or only one?

I'd Try performing an "in-place upgrade" of Windows 7 by inserting the DVD while the computer is running. This is the same procedure as one would use to upgrade from Vista, and typically does a good job of replacing any missing or corrupted system files.
    -Alex
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Twice right click will do it:
    First: Right click on the taskbar icon
    Second: Right click on the name of the program - then choose "Properties"
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Thanx for your answers. Konst-33, your suggestion doesn't seem to work though.

I have tried another account on my PC, the problem is the same there, too. So, it seems I will have to follow axfelix's suggestion to upgrade...
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:58 PM
  • How many entries do you have in the "Jump List" of any the items already pinned.
    8 or more by any chance.

Also try removing a pinned item and then see if you can pin a new item.
    JS
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Thanx for your answers. Konst-33, your suggestion doesn't seem to work though.
    OK - go step by step:

Open start menu, click "All programs", go to "Accessories", right mouse click to "Calculator", -> "Pin to taskbar"
    Now you have it on taskbar with default icon
    Right mouse click to the taskbar icon, right mouse click to the text "Calculator" -> "Properties"
    Left mouse click to the button "Change Icon" - and change Icon.

Ops - now I see it: Even if I change the Icon - the changed Icon doesn't appear.
    But: Restart the PC and the Icon is changed.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Well, the problem is that there's even no offer of the "Pin to taskbar" function when I follow your steps, konst-33. And this offer is missing even if I click on any icon I wish to get pinned to my taskbar. See the picture I (printscreen) I made (the picture is in 1303x1047):

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9872/sshot1d.png
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:48 PM
  • the problem is that there's even no offer of the "Pin to taskbar" function when I follow your steps
    OK - this is the basic problem.

I see you have added other custom icon bars. Perhaps these are responsible for the problem. Disable them temporally and try again.

And: I don't see any short cuts on your desktop. Could it be that you have disabled the small short cut arrow by a registry hack? I have heard that this sometimes make errors with "pin to taskbar".
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Well, the problem is that there's even no offer of the "Pin to taskbar" function when I follow your steps, konst-33. And this offer is missing even if I click on any icon I wish to get pinned to my taskbar. See the picture I (printscreen) I made (the picture is in 1303x1047):

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9872/sshot1d.png

Hi

The option to Pin To Taskbar seems to work OK on this system. Calculator Options.

I would sugges following Alex's recommendation to perform an in place upgrade to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Hi, thanx to all of you willing to help me. :)

Now, I would like to do an in-place upgrade, but would need some steps to follow, as I do not want to make some irreparable mistake. I'm not very experienced user still.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:31 AM
  • An upgrade from Windows XP or Vista?
    By "in-place" I assume you want your application to remain intack and functional?
    JS
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Well, currently I do not run other Windows OS than Windows 7, which I really really like much (better than Vista :)). So, yes, I'd like to keep my application/s intact and functional, if possible. I know that there is a possibility to re-install Windows OS (any) in a way that keeps one's Programme Files and My Documents folders and their contents intact, I just hope this works with W7, too.

Is "in-place upgrade" of W7 the same process as re-installation of OS (W7)?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:21 PM