virtualisation platform for APP-V environment RRS feed

• Question

• Our DATA Center is running on VMWare platform and is covered by Microsoft Data Center License.

I have couple of Hyper-V hosts in Data center and multiple on remote sites.

Starting to prepare APP-V infrastructure. I have a powerful Gen 8 Proliant server and plan to start APP-V pilot implementation

on Hyper-V platform. I don't have a big issue with our VMWARE guy about adding other Hyper-V host/hosts.

But from OS licensing perspective he looks right. I can add required APP-V servers VMs on VMWARE without paying other licenses if going with Hyper-V.

Also from hardware perspective there are no limitation for assigning adequate resources to APP-V infra if it will run on VMWARE.

Plus High availability is already there, so I don't have to think about it. If going with Hyper-V it will be another part to eventually implement, so additional time and cost will be involved.

From the other hand I am very comfortable with Hyper-V and would like to go with it. But as you understand it should logical financing decision if the virtual platform would not have performance/quality impact.

Your opinions please.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Friday, June 6, 2014 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I would implement a solution that you are comfortable with. You description is to vague to actually recommend you todo anything, especially since there is no business requirement as to what you are trying to achieve.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:39 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would implement a solution that you are comfortable with. You description is to vague to actually recommend you todo anything, especially since there is no business requirement as to what you are trying to achieve.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:39 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:39 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 10:09 AM
  • From an OS licensing perspective, there is no difference between Hyper-V and vSphere. The way to license the virtuel OS environments (OSE) is always the same, because that licenses get attached to the underlying hardware. If you have Windows Datacenter Edition licenses assigned to your hosts, everything is good from that perspective.

From an performance/management perspective, App-V doesn't require any special, so going to one-or-the-other solution depends on other parameters

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Thanks Falko.

Not sure if more than 1 answer could be marked as "Mark as answer" but sure I appreciate yours.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:15 PM
  • not sure either. If you see the feature, try it.

Anyway I can ask any of the moderators to remove the mark from Nicke's post... he already has plenty of Rewards points ;-)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:33 PM
  • ha-ha-ha

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:10 PM