outlook file access denied - ost file RRS feed

• Question

• since creating another profile in outlook, quite a few of our users have been getting an error message: file access denied. You don't have permission to access.......... .ost

this prevents them from launching outlook - the only workaround I've found is to create a new profile - but that's not ideal at all - is there anything else I can do? The desktops are on a domain

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• That is the application/installation folder of Office 2010 (in a 8.3 compatibility/short notation) and that is not the location where ost-files should be located.

By the information provided, it's hard for us to determine how this came to be the location for the ost-file for these users but a wrongly set policy or deployment setting is the most likely cause and you'll have to look into that.

As you indicated that recreating the mail profile solves the issue, it would be wise to continue with that as it indeed looks like a profile corruption. You can automate this via logon script/Group Policy. See;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deployprf.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Cinek,

Creating another profile - do you mean add additional profile?

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:01 PM
  • You'll need to supply more details than this. For starters, which version of Outlook are you using?
    Also, where are you trying to create these ost-files?

Make sure no policy has been set to create these on a network share or on a location users don't have access to.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:06 PM
  • yes - create / add a new profile

some are using outlook 2010 others are using 2007

I'm not trying to create the ost files, outlooks just comes up with this error out of nowhere

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I'm not trying to create the ost files, outlooks just comes up with this error out of nowhere

An ost-file is the cache file that Outlook creates to improve performance and support various features. By default it is created in;
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Make sure you don't have this folder redirected to a network share via either an Outlook policy or a Windows policy which redirects the entire "Local" folder structure to a network share.

What is the exact path in the error that you get?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:29 PM
  • the path in the error is: : C:\PROGRA~2\Office14\email@address.com – name.ost

the strange thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it happens after few days

Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:05 PM
  • the defaul location os .osf file suppost to be: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Please verify and move file to the right location.

As Program Files folder has granted permission to access for all user that \Progra~2 may not. I can even see Proga~2 fodler as a correct folder anyway.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Desktop Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:32 PM
  • That is the application/installation folder of Office 2010 (in a 8.3 compatibility/short notation) and that is not the location where ost-files should be located.

By the information provided, it's hard for us to determine how this came to be the location for the ost-file for these users but a wrongly set policy or deployment setting is the most likely cause and you'll have to look into that.

As you indicated that recreating the mail profile solves the issue, it would be wise to continue with that as it indeed looks like a profile corruption. You can automate this via logon script/Group Policy. See;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deployprf.htm

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:46 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:06 PM
  • I was getting this problem as well. Outlook client was saying upon startup "file access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file c:\progra~1\micros~1\office14\myname - default.ost"

I opened up that folder and there was no ost there.

My ost *was* in the expected location:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook

I deleted the ost, but the permission error persisted.

I then re-created the Mail profile again by deleteing the profile and then using "Add..." to create a new one. At this point, the delivery location shown in the Mail control panel said just myemail@company.com\Inbox instead of myemail@company.com\Inbox in data file c:\users\...\default.ost.

When I next started Outlook, it opened normally as if it were being used for the first time and it started downloading my email into a new cache file.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Bailen Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hello Tim,

Although your reply is helpful (great detailed description), it is not the solution to the problem.

We have set the location of the .OST file by GPO to the default location: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook

Users are generally able to log on and start Outlook succesfully, but in a few days some of them receive the above mentioned error (access denied - C:\Progra~2\...).

It seems like the OST file gets locked by some process, so Outlook tries to create a new OST in the Program Files directory where Outlook (and its dll's) is installed.

I just like to find out why (there), because recreating the Outlook profile every single time is not my favourite job.

Regards, Rein

• Edited by Reinto Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:55 AM typo
    Monday, March 4, 2013 9:47 AM