The function cannot be performed because the message has been changed. RRS feed

• Question

• I get this several times a week when trying to send email in Outlook 2016 (MSI version).  When it happens, I must close the unsaved message and fish it out of my drafts folder.  Then make any unsaved edits and send.

There is a corresponding entry in the event log.

Possibly related, our organization recently started migrating mailboxes from our Exchange server to Office 365.  Before my mailbox was moved, I ran into this annoyance maybe once a month.  Since then it has only escalated.  It seems to happen more often when dealing with attachments and replies but not always.  I tried changing the draft auto-save time by increasing it to 10 minutes but this has had no effect.

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:00 PM

Answers

• This issue has completely disappeared. I can't say for sure what fixed it but I think it's one of 2 possibilities.

1. The issue might have been fixed in a patch for Office/Outlook 2016.

2. I stopped using the gmail app on my android device and started using the Outlook Mobile app.  (The gmail app was acting up quite a bit after our exchange accounts got moved into the cloud.) 

Regardless, the issue is gone now.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and assistance.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Cristopher,

Does this issue affect other users in your organization?
    How about other types of email accounts configured in your Outlook client?

To help narrow down the problem, please try starting Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if there will be any improvement.

Besides, please try clear the checkbox of "When a reply modifies a message, don't move the original" via File > Options > Mail to see the result:

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I know of at least one colleague who experiences this issue almost as much as I do.  Our org has migrated about 50% of the users so I'm also keeping a look out for helpdesk tickets that sound similar.  One thing of note: we don't use cached exchange mode because of concerns with unencrypted data.  This already causes a noticeable but tolerable lag in the Outlook interface when working with a cloud-based mailbox (especially messages with attachments). 

I'll try a combination of the option you highlighted above as well as safe mode and report back here with my findings.  Because I can't reliably reproduce the issue at will, it may be a few days before I have something substantial.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 12:55 PM
  • Hi Cristopher,

It has been several days. How's everything going with this issue?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:31 AM
  • So far so good with Safe Mode. I haven't used it a whole lot but the issue hasn't manifested.

If I'm correct, the next step will be to look into disabling add-ins 1 by 1 and see if anything specific is causing issues.

Of course I'll start with 3rd party add-ins.

Friday, February 16, 2018 6:25 PM
  • If I'm correct, the next step will be to look into disabling add-ins 1 by 1 and see if anything specific is causing issues.

Yes. :)

Good to see you are unblocked right now. By the way, do you mind to mark the reply above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful ones?

Thanks for your great understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:51 AM
  • Thanks - I'll mark those as answers.  It will take lots of time and testing to narrow down which add-in, if any, is causing the issue.  If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to add another update to this thread.

So far, the only complaint I have with safe mode is the lack of a reading pane but the speed improvements make it well worth it. 

Edit: 03-01-2018

Looks like Safe Mode didn't work.  I'll keep searching for the answer.

• Edited by Cristopher_WPU Thursday, March 1, 2018 1:56 PM not the solution I was looking for
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:25 PM
  • I've been using Safe mode for a while and this issue has now started occurring again. It seems it wasn't explicitly tied to any specific add-in. I'm going to keep this marked as unanswered until I get something more concrete.

My next troubleshooting steps will be to delete and recreate the Outlook Profile and if that doesn't work, I'll uninstall and re-install Office 2016. 

Thursday, March 1, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

Thanks for sharing the update with this issue! Please post back at your convenience with any new findings. 

By the way, if the issue persists, it is also recommended to perform a clean boot in Windows. This helps eliminate whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:13 AM
  • I am getting the exact error with Outlook 2016, except it happens when I try to set and/or change the importance flag in an email.  I use flags to first mark when I have an electronic bill to pay.  After I pay it, normally I'll hit the flag icon again and it changes to a green checkmark.

Recently, when I click in the flag area of an email (not even opened for editing) I get the error noted in the title of this discussion topic.

I tried the change to Outlook Options, suggest in several blogs, but it did not work for this error.

THIS IS ANOTHER ISSUE ON TOP OF THE OTHER BIG ISSUE WITH iCloud where I can't use iCloud to sync my Outlook mail, contacts, or calendars anymore.  I get the error "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile.  Check you Outlook settings and try again."

Thunderbird is starting to look better everyday!

Friday, April 6, 2018 1:43 PM
  • This issue has completely disappeared. I can't say for sure what fixed it but I think it's one of 2 possibilities.

1. The issue might have been fixed in a patch for Office/Outlook 2016.

2. I stopped using the gmail app on my android device and started using the Outlook Mobile app.  (The gmail app was acting up quite a bit after our exchange accounts got moved into the cloud.) 

Regardless, the issue is gone now.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and assistance.

Sunday, June 3, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Would you know what patch was that?

Thanks

Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:57 PM
  • I'm not even sure it was a patch that fixed the problem or that I stopped using the Gmail app on my android phone.  I just know the issue has gone away, hopefully for good.
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:03 PM
  • I believe this is related to the Gmail app. We use Outlook 2016 under Windows 10 1709 and Exchange 2016 (latest CU). Outlook is configured in online mode (not cached mode). 50 of our staff went to new Android phones that use the Gmail app. Since then those users are having this error. It is most definitely related to Gmail changing the auto-saved Draft message. I am considering turning off the saving of drafts in Outlook (will be testing this shortly). I had hoped that there was an option in Gmail to NOT touch anything in the Drafts folder but syncing options, etc, do not mention the Drafts folder at all.

Will report back when I hear more...

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:57 AM
  • Used group policy preference to disable auto-saving of drafts:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\MailSettings\AutosaveTime DWORD set to "0".

Works so far... but this is a workaround... hopefully the Gmail app is fixed eventually (I am guessing that is where it has to be fixed, not likely something on Microsoft's end that needs to be fixed).

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Interesting topic,

We got the same issue since we started with Office 2016. Our internal case is already 2 years old with no solution, only a work a round by disabling saving the draft mail.

Last month we created a case with Microsoft. We have done some testing:

- We got this issue in our Citrix environment as well on the local machines
    - Patching Outlook 2016 to the latest patch didn't remove the problem
    - Disabling the Addins also didn't remove the problem
    - In webmail there is no problem
    - If there is a message that cannot be send from Outlook, It can be send by webmail

The option of disabling the Android app is new for me, I'm going to test this one.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:16 AM
  • I bet it was number 2... I have had power users with android phones have some odd problems.  Have a single user with this problem and this seems to fit.

Friday, November 2, 2018 9:17 PM
  • We did some tests.

I can simulate this problem on my own profile. When I set the mail sync of the Android mail app on manual I have no problems in Outlook. When I use the Outlook app on my smartphone I also don't have problems in Outlook. 

Other colleagues started syncing with the Android mail app and they can't reproduce this problem. 

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:26 AM
  • We also see the same issue across all our users who use Gmail app on Android. 

At this point, we asked users to change the device email setting from push to pull. 

Not sure who's responsibility is this. Google? Microsoft? 

• Edited by golan nave Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Has anyone resolved this? We are having the same problem. Outlook is giving error (message has been changed) as soon as the message is saved to drafts and synced to gmail app. No problems when using Outlook android app for example.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:29 PM
  • No luck finding a solution here. Through an AD Group Policy I've had to disable saving drafts on all Android Gmail app users computers company-wide... very annoying. Fortunately most Android Gmail Exchange users are rarely at their computer... those that are at a computer all day here are on iPhones ....

Really hope this eventually gets fixed, but I'm not holding my breath...

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Does anyone have a knowledge/article on how to disable draft folder sync in ActiveSync? my assumption is this will stop the issue (as a temporary workaround) 
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Well,

I am now stuck between two big giants.
    Microsoft has looked briefly into my case and refuses to test the Gmail app. They say this is not a native mail client, even though i made it clear that all Google Pixel devices are shipped with Gmail app as the native mail client. 

Google, i have found no way of contacting them so far. moreover, if Microsoft is not willing to provide evidence to what exact manipulation is taking place on the draft message on the exchange by the Gmail app, i have no evidence to submit to Google.

Maybe someone here is from a larger company and had more power?
    • Edited by golan nave Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:16 AM
  • I don't think this is isolated to GMAIL APP.  I have a user with Office365 Business on her computer and uses an iPhone with email setup on the iPhone mail client and she has this issue.  
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:46 PM
  • This is a Microsoft problem I am an individual using ATT for my email with IMAP and working from a HP PC. I wrote an email and sent it to my draft folder. I opened it later by clicking on it an made a text change, tried to send it and got the error message. I ended up redoing it in a new email in order to finally send it.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:22 PM
  • I have had this problem for a long time.  It happens with gmail, Hover, and my @outlook.com alias. I have discover what actions of mine cause the popup to display, but cannot figure out what setting(s) might "fix" the issue.

I get the error when I reply to an incoming email and I have accidentally moved the cursor to any part of the incoming email while typing (usually its my palm contacting the touchpad on the laptop).  If I manually correct my changes, the email is doomed, and won't send.  If I use the undo tool, I don't usually have a problem.

On a new outgoing email, this error happens when I have accidentally altered part of my "Signature".

I usually just open a new mail window and copy and paste and send with no problem.  If its a reply, I copy my portion, delete the draft, reply again and paste my response, and guess what...no problem.  It must be a security feature of some sort, so that certain things cannot be altered.

Saturday, September 7, 2019 3:17 AM