none
Project Server 2010 Migration from one instance to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have a development environment of PS2010 and have successfully commissioned a production environment also. We migrated the data and everything looks okay, until we look at workflows. We created a custom workflow in DEV and looks like it has migrated successfully, but when I go to Workflow Settings in Site Settings and click on the custom workflow it gives me  an Error ' An unexpected error has occured.'

I checked Project Centre and tried to get to the workflow status page...it said web part is not available.

Has anyone come across with error message before after migration of an instance with a custom workflow?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Also...I noticed that the Workflow Proxy User Account still has the DEV Proxy User Account so I tried adding the PRD user account and it gave me an error message stating that the account does not exist...it does...as I can login with it so I am not sure where else it needs changing before it gets changed under Server Settings...
    • Edited by SJ_PPM Monday, January 16, 2012 1:36 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 1:10 AM

Answers

• Thanks Pankaj.

That didn't help. We ended up logging a call with MSFT Support.

A non-documented step needed to be performed to resolve the issue.

MSFT really needs to have some good documentation regarding Post Migration steps of PS2010 between two environments.

SJ

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:13 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:13 PM

All replies

• just an update on this...

We resolved the issue of the custom workflow, but we still get the Web Part not availabe error when we click the Workflow Status web part. I tried to create a brand new project detail page and then add the project web part (Workflow Status or Project Field) it still gave the same error message. We couldn't see much in the ULS logs or the event viewer.

We then created a brand new project web app without the dev data and we didn't have any issues with the web parts...is there a post data restore process with custom workflows between two different environments?

Thanks

SJ

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

Pls check following things in new instance:

• All the PDP comes properly or not.
    • New project page in EPT comes properly or not in PDP.
    • All the required custom field and lookup table(check required custom field in PDP).
    • New project detail page.
    • If any approval goes after first stage so specific user must be present in AD as well as project server.

If problem still same then go to Change and restart workflow option and restart the workflow with specific EPT and project.

Regards, Pankaj Waghmare | Consultant
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Pankaj for your reply.

See the response below...

• All the PDP comes properly or not. Workflow Status and Project Fields PDPs are not working
    • New project page in EPT comes properly or not in PDP. No it doesn't
    • All the required custom field and lookup table(check required custom field in PDP). All look okay
    • New project detail page. Tried adding the two webparts and got the same error message. Other Webparts seem to be fine. It is the Project Fields and the Workflow Status.
    • If any approval goes after first stage so specific user must be present in AD as well as project server. all are present in AD

Everything else looks fine except for these web parts. Any other suggestions?

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

If PDP is not working then workflow will not initiate. You can take backup of workflow, PDP, EPT and stages using Playbook and restore in to new instance.

also check all 4 databases assign properly(like Archive=Archive) or not?

• Edited by Pankaj Waghmare Monday, January 16, 2012 9:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Pankaj Waghmare Monday, January 16, 2012 9:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SJ_PPM Monday, January 16, 2012 10:43 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:21 AM
  • funny thing is that my workflow does get initiated. I changed couple of projects workflow and restarted and it processed successfully. I just cannot seem to get these two web parts working...
    • Edited by SJ_PPM Monday, January 16, 2012 10:43 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:48 AM
  • I am not sure why I would use Playboooks when I have successfully restored all the content. The issue is with the two web parts. Is there a way to remove and add these web parts manually?

• Edited by SJ_PPM Monday, January 16, 2012 10:45 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:44 PM
  • I tried everything and nothing seems to work. I even tried Playbooks and it still gives an error when trying to use the Project Field and Workflow Status Web parts

• Edited by SJ_PPM Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Hi, 

Create WSP file for existing PWA site then open it in VS2010 and check all pages related to workflow come or not. if it is come then deployed only that pages on new instance. 

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Thanks Pankaj.

That didn't help. We ended up logging a call with MSFT Support.

A non-documented step needed to be performed to resolve the issue.

MSFT really needs to have some good documentation regarding Post Migration steps of PS2010 between two environments.

SJ

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:13 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:13 PM
  • SJ_EPM,

What was the last step, changing the PWA instance url the web parts were pointing to?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:21 PM