none
MS Project 2010 Standard for a 20 person organization RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a means to use MS Project "Standard" 2010 in a way that permits team members to submit assignment updates for electronic entry into their project manager's mpp?

Upto version 2002/ 2003, I remember that we were able to use the Workgroup add-on that generated an attachment via the mpp and then had Outlook send it to the team member(s) in order to collect progress data on their respective assignments.  I know that this particular feature has since been defunct, but I was wondering if we can accomplish the same thing without investing in Server/ Sharepoint Enterprise, etc.  Perhaps Sharepoint Foundation has something in it that we can use?

We are dealing here with an organization that is 20 people in total, so it does not seem justified to go EPM.  So we were wondering if there is someway to collect the progress input from team members electronically and submitted it to the plan owner for review and then with minimal effort, click and have the assignment(s) updated in the respective mpp.

If not, would that mean that this functionality is only possible via a third party time reporting system that has an interface to MSP, etc?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:08 PM

Answers

• Project Pro 2010 can synchronize tasks to a SharePoint site, which might be the next best thing, as an intermediate step before EPM.

Mark E Read Principal Sequence Advisors, Inc.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Spiro,

To get all the functioanlity you decribe, then EPM is the only solution.  However, if you only have 20 people, then you may consider using a resource pool and consolidating your projects into a master file (sometimes called a consolidated file).  Using a resource pool allows you to see all assignments across all projects.  Using a consolidated file allows you to set, see and manage project inter-dependencies.  This is an area where I tell my students and clients that "Project does not do everything for you... and sometimes what you ask for is difficult and time consuming to obtain."

Having team members directly enter there progress information into Project is an added risk, but with the proper training and self-discipline, many team members can do it with no issues.  They run into trouble by doing shortcuts, rather than entering it the right way.

There is something available in Sharepoint 2010 called pmPoint (more info at http://www.brightwork.com/).  This may be something you might be interested in and if you go this route, even though Project is not required to use pmPoint, Project Pro would be required as Mark pointed out.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:57 PM

All replies

• Project Pro 2010 can synchronize tasks to a SharePoint site, which might be the next best thing, as an intermediate step before EPM.

Mark E Read Principal Sequence Advisors, Inc.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Spiro,

To get all the functioanlity you decribe, then EPM is the only solution.  However, if you only have 20 people, then you may consider using a resource pool and consolidating your projects into a master file (sometimes called a consolidated file).  Using a resource pool allows you to see all assignments across all projects.  Using a consolidated file allows you to set, see and manage project inter-dependencies.  This is an area where I tell my students and clients that "Project does not do everything for you... and sometimes what you ask for is difficult and time consuming to obtain."

Having team members directly enter there progress information into Project is an added risk, but with the proper training and self-discipline, many team members can do it with no issues.  They run into trouble by doing shortcuts, rather than entering it the right way.

There is something available in Sharepoint 2010 called pmPoint (more info at http://www.brightwork.com/).  This may be something you might be interested in and if you go this route, even though Project is not required to use pmPoint, Project Pro would be required as Mark pointed out.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Well aware of resource pools and master projects excetera... however, the brightwork stuff looks pretty cool!

Thanks a million!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Do you know of any urls to Microsoft Project demo's on this particular subject you know of?

I am interested in seeing what it would look like. How it works.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Hi Spiro,

I guess you need URL for Sharepoint & Project 2010 integration so here are they: http://www.microsoft.com/project/en-us/sync-sharepoint.aspx

there are several demos here :  

http://www.microsoft.com/project/en-us/demos.aspx refer to : SharePoint 2010 and Project Professional 2010 Demo

Sapna S

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:18 AM