Trying to insert text as Link in Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Inserting text as link does not work.

Inserting multiple Word 2007 files into a single Word 2007 file as text as link  When the option is selected, nothing happens.

So instead I simply insert text from another file (not linked) and the text that does get inserted is not formatted as it should.  The font is different and I have to reformat.

Please advise.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• When you insert a file via the Insert File dialog box Word always uses the style definitions of the target document. The exception is if the inserted file is formatted with direct formatting or with styles that does not exist in the target document.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by JimEiden Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:39 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• How are you inserting the text? As a linked object? Or via the Insert File dialog box?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Stefan:

Thanks for the reply.  Here are is the menu path / exact steps I am following:

Insert -> Object -> Text From File . . .  -> Select file to insert text from -> Select drop down arrow beside Insert button -> Select Insert as Link

Result: Nothing happens.  No text inserted.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Have you tries repairing your Office installation (Word Options|Resources|Diagnose)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:57 PM
  • I have not tried that yet.  I'm in a coroporate environment, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:49 PM
  • just finished Diagnostic test.

"The diagnostic tests found no problems. Click continue to connect to Microsoft's servers and view recommended next steps."

Summary of Results:

Diagnostics run: 4

Diagnostics thaqt identified problems: 0

Diagnostics that corrective actions: 0

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:26 PM
  • When you insert a file via the Insert File dialog box Word always uses the style definitions of the target document. The exception is if the inserted file is formatted with direct formatting or with styles that does not exist in the target document.

• Marked as answer by JimEiden Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:39 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Thanks, I'll have to make the  blank doc has my styles then before I insert any text. 
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:36 PM