laptop accidentally shut down during update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My laptop was updating Windows 10 and accidentally shut down. After this I've tried all combinations of recovery but no success, maybe because first I had windows 8 and then I upgraded to windows 10. Do I need to reinstall everything? Any suggestions? Thanks

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I wander if you shut down the system during downloading/installing/configuring the updates?

And what problem did you encounter right now? Can you boot to the system normally, if can't , what is the error message?

What methods did you try? Have you use a repair disc to boot, and perform a system restore?

Please provide information on details. Thank you for your time.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 20, 2018 7:36 AM
  • I don't know during what process did the laptop restart, i left it and my cat stepped on the power button. I cant boot the system normally I'm getting blue screen with :(. The repair discs are for windows 8 and also i've tried to do system restore but all the time i'm getting same message, the blue screen.
    Friday, April 20, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

I think the reason why you get bsod is because the system components are corrupted. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

It is suggested that you can boot from repair disc and choose command prompt, no matter if it is a Windows 8 repair disc:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If nothing helps, you can perform an in-place upgrade. How to perform an in-place upgrade:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-with-windows-10/7f0b236e-3c6c-4913-9691-c4baa2a6190a

Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer. However, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process.

You can download the windows 10 image from media creation tool , then burn it to a usb drive.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 20, 2018 9:51 AM
  • If you have any updates, welcome to post here.

If my suggestions did any help, please remember to mark it as an answer to help us close the thread.

Monday, April 23, 2018 8:22 AM
  • The repair disc didn't help. I've also tried to create usb with windows 10 but didnt  succeed. I'm going to try to do it once more
    Saturday, May 5, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Open the website for the notebook manufacturer > support > enter the computer's product or serial number or model > select the operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

The steps below are to evaluate the computer and possibly fix underlying problems.

There are additional troubleshooting steps depending upon the results of these steps.

Please make sure that when using a camera or smart phone camera that the commands and results to the commands are easily seen.

These commands will evaluate the disk, volume, and partitions.

There are steps that can reverse pending actions, fix corruption in the operating system, fix the drive file system, and fix the boot.

Some of these commands may need additional steps or modified with additional steps.

Perform the following steps:

1) Find a flash drive that you can format

2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port

4) Power on the computer and boot to the BIOS boot window using the applicable keyboard key:

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm

5) If it is a custom build then temporarily modify the BIOS boot order so that the USB external HD is on top

6) Boot to the external USB HD

7) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon

8) Select language, time, currency, and keyboard or click next

9) In the left lower corner click repair your computer (do not click install)

10) Click troubleshoot

11) Click startup repair (if this fails move to the next step)

12) Click system restore (start with the oldest restore point and keep repeating as necessary to the most recent restore point) (if there are no restore points or if all restore points fail move to the next step)

FOR ALL OF THE NEXT STEPS PLEASE USE A CAMERA OR SMART PHONE CAMERA TO TAKE PICTURES AND POST IMAGES INTO THE THREAD (use 7zip to organize the images and one drive or drop box to post share links)

13) Click command prompt > administrator: X:\windows\system32.cmd.exe > X:\sources> type:

Type all of these commands.  

14) bcdedit /enum

15) bcdedit | find "osdevice"  (use the displayed drive letter of the partition for some of the next steps)

16) diskpart

17) list disk

18) list volume

19) select disk 0

20) list partition

21) select partition 1

22) detail partition

23) select partition 2

24) detail partition

25) select partition 3

26) detail partition

27) select partition 4

28) detail partition

29) (if there are any additional partitions continue in the same fashion)

30) exit

31) C:

32) dir

33) D:

34) dir

35) X:

36) dism /image:W:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
    (replace W with the drive letter for the partition displayed in step #15)

37) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=W:\ /offwindir=W:\windows

(replace the letters W with the drive letter for the partition displayed in step #15)

(there is a space between \ and / for \ /)

38) chkdsk /r W:

(replace W with the drive letter for the partition displayed in step #15)

This may take many hours and typically displays an ETA.

Reboot as necessary

39) (Re-open command prompt > administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\sources > type:)

40) bootrec /fixmbr

41) bootrec /fixboot

42) bootrec /scanos

43) bootrec /rebuildbcd

44) (reboot)

If the repair steps are successful consider the repair fragile and perform the following steps:
    1) Create a brand new restore point
    2) Backup all files to another drive or to the cloud
    3) Make a backup image using Macrium:
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    4) Save the backup image to another drive or to the cloud

If the repair steps fail then there are additional steps depending upon the above results.  Pleas make sure that the images are clear so that the commands and results are clearly seen in the images.

Saturday, May 5, 2018 8:05 AM