Exchange 2010 Archive Mailbox Offline Access issue from Microsoft Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Please find the below my suggestion for Microsoft Exchange 2010 Product because its have certain issue so please include it on next Service Pack......

Exchange 2010 Archive Mailbox Offline Access from Microsoft Outlook.

We are able to access online but not able to access via offline...

Subhash Tiwari |MCA|MCSE|MCSA|MCDBA|MCTS|MCITP | Blog-> http://www.mssubhash.com
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The whole idea of the archive mailbox is to keep your "online" mailbox with recent / important mail small and accessible on and offline. The archive mailbox is intend to store older / less important mail which is not neccessary to access immediately.

Think what will happen if you have a larger archive in outlook and you will cache it locally your offline file will grow big time and outlook will become slow again. One of the reasons to use a archive mailbox is to prevent the grow of offline files.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by deltathree Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by deltathree Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The whole idea of the archive mailbox is to keep your "online" mailbox with recent / important mail small and accessible on and offline. The archive mailbox is intend to store older / less important mail which is not neccessary to access immediately.

Think what will happen if you have a larger archive in outlook and you will cache it locally your offline file will grow big time and outlook will become slow again. One of the reasons to use a archive mailbox is to prevent the grow of offline files.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by deltathree Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by deltathree Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:05 AM
  • I think the proper thing for MSFT to do is to at least give users/administrators the option of whether they want to allow the archive mailbox to be available offline in Outlook...  Maybe don't make it available offline by default, but at least give us a checkbox (with appropriate warnings, if they so desire) that at least allow syncing of the achive...

The option to sync or not sync offline is avaialble for "additional mailboxes" so it's not like the base functionality isn't already there...

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Perhaps an upgrade to the offline storage mechanism (on the client) should be considered.

EliezerB
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:45 PM