none
Can I cleanup Cache folder of Power Query ? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I cleanup Cache folder of Power Query ?

I want to clean up my Ultrabook storage for Power Query.

0.9GB = C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power Query\Cache
    0.8GB = C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Data Explorer\Cache
    // [username] is my name.

// treemap of C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:17 PM

Answers

• If you are using Power Query and have given up Data Explorer (the older versions), surely you can eliminate the Data Explorer related artifacts.

As for Power Query cache, you can delete it if you really must - but if you are a regular Power Query user, this will get built up again. We generally don't recommend removing the cache.

Thanks.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group @ Microsoft

Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Sorry, please disregard my previous comment. "Cache Management" options is a new feature in the upcoming June PQ update, not in the one that we released this week...

Too many new features every month that I got confused. But now you know something that the rest of the world doesn't... :)

Thanks,
    M.

Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:05 PM

All replies

• If you are using Power Query and have given up Data Explorer (the older versions), surely you can eliminate the Data Explorer related artifacts.

As for Power Query cache, you can delete it if you really must - but if you are a regular Power Query user, this will get built up again. We generally don't recommend removing the cache.

Thanks.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group @ Microsoft

Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Thank you, Faisal.

I will try to delete Cache Folder of Data Explorer and Power Query.

I am a regular Power Query user, on Ultrabook SSD 128 GB.
    I want to compact Cache Folder to use more DATA.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:54 AM
  • The only documentation I've found on this is at

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/power-query-specifications-and-limits-HA104054432.aspx

Says there is a "soft limit" of 4G

Is there any other documentation related to the cache? Is there any way to turn it off (I always want current data).

On a small SSD 4G is burdensome and will likely cause degradation of the drive over time.

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Here's a screenshot of my user folder after playing with PowerQuery for just a couple hours. Red area outlined in White is Power Query cache. There are two problems with this. First, as I mentioned in my previous post, it is not respectful of the users computer. But the second issue is worse. When I create a new query the "preview" is showing stale data since it is using the cache. I only get the real data when I load it. Typically I load to a data model so I don't "see" the real data - I need to trust that it is there.

Are there perhaps some registry settings to control caching behaviour?

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:13 PM
  • We've added a basic set of Cache Management options to the latest PQ update (May 2014): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2014/05/29/what-s-new-in-power-query.aspx

It lets you monitor how much space is being used by the PQ cache, clear the entire cache and customize the limit (defaults to 4 GB).

Hope this helps.
    M.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Hello, Miquel.

How can I use Cache Management option on Excel Power Query / May 2014 ?

I cannot find "Cache" term in the blog,
    and cannot find Cache Management options on Excel Power Query / May 2014.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:47 AM
  • Sorry, please disregard my previous comment. "Cache Management" options is a new feature in the upcoming June PQ update, not in the one that we released this week...

Too many new features every month that I got confused. But now you know something that the rest of the world doesn't... :)

Thanks,
    M.

Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Thank you, Miguel.

June 2014's Power Query, WoW

Best Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Sunday, June 1, 2014 6:15 PM