Unwanted column FileLeafRef is created automatically in a list RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a very simple Custom Datasheet View List, with 4 columns.

When I tried to add the first entry, it said that there was a hidden column that required a value. That way I discovered that there is a column called FileLeafRef, that can be added to views. It not listed among the columns, so I can't get into it to see properties or delete it.

I was told this is a built-in field for Sharepoint, but that I should not have to complete it myself, yet it always says: "You must specify a non-blank value for FileLeafRef".

Why was this column automatically created? And more importantly, how can I delete it? Is there some higher-access setting that could affect this field?

Please help me out with this! Thanks in advance,

Vicky

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, September 5, 2011 2:26 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, September 5, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Vicky,

I’m sorry that I cannot reproduce your issue, could I confirm with you that you create the list with the template “Custom List in Datasheet View” in Custom Lists.

From your description, do you mean that you can see the column FileLeafRef in edit view page but not under Columns in list settings page?

As I know, FileLeafRef is an internal name of Name field, you can refer to this link for more information: http://vspug.com/ssa/2007/10/03/invalid-column-name-c2/

To check the property of the column:
    1. Go to settings->List settings, click a column (like Title) to enter change column page, change the url to &Field=FileLeafRef.
    2. Go to settings->List settings->advanced settings, choose Allow management of content types to Yes, go back to list settings page, click the content type to enter content type page, click a column (like Title) to enter change content type column page, change the url to &field=FileLeafRef, check the settings in the pages, whether the column is set to Required(must contain information)

If it isn’t the issue, would you please create a common list and create view Datasheet View to see whether the column FileLeafRef comes up, also, are your SharePoint version is Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 or others?

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

• Proposed as answer by Mayur Joshi Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:13 AM

All replies

• I'm creating a very simple Custom Datasheet View List, with 4 columns.

When I tried to add the first entry, it said that there was a hidden column that required a value. That way I discovered that there is a column called FileLeafRef, that can be added to views. It not listed among the columns, so I can't get into it to see properties or delete it.

Why was this column automatically created? And more importantly, how can I delete it?

Thanks in advance!

Vicky

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 2, 2011 3:38 PM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Merged by Pengyu Zhao Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:25 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

This (FileLeafRef) is a built in field in sharepoint which is used by SharePoint to store relevant filename information, It is not a required field or visible in the UI or added to the "view"

What exact error are you getting??

My SharePoint Blog
    http://dhireny.blogspot.com
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi Dhirendra,

Thanks for your response. The error I'm getting is that it's actually required: "You must specify a non-blank value for FileLeafRef". Is there some higher-access setting that could affect this field?

Anything I put in there is turned into a weird number.

Is it normal that a list, with no attachments, stores filename information?

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Can you give us more details on what you're trying to ahieve with the datasheet view.  I've only seen this column making it's presence felt via third party products, or with some intricate SQL scripting.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

The list is very very simple. It has a bunch of single and multi line text columns, and one "People/Group" column that pulls usernames out of the company's directory.

I've tried creating new lists, just with the standard title column, and FileLeafRef comes up too.

Do you think there's something in the site's setup that creates this? If so, could you help me point the site admin in the right direction? Right now we don't even know where to look for the root cause...

Thanks!

Monday, September 5, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi Vicky,

I’m sorry that I cannot reproduce your issue, could I confirm with you that you create the list with the template “Custom List in Datasheet View” in Custom Lists.

From your description, do you mean that you can see the column FileLeafRef in edit view page but not under Columns in list settings page?

As I know, FileLeafRef is an internal name of Name field, you can refer to this link for more information: http://vspug.com/ssa/2007/10/03/invalid-column-name-c2/

To check the property of the column:
    1. Go to settings->List settings, click a column (like Title) to enter change column page, change the url to &Field=FileLeafRef.
    2. Go to settings->List settings->advanced settings, choose Allow management of content types to Yes, go back to list settings page, click the content type to enter content type page, click a column (like Title) to enter change content type column page, change the url to &field=FileLeafRef, check the settings in the pages, whether the column is set to Required(must contain information)

If it isn’t the issue, would you please create a common list and create view Datasheet View to see whether the column FileLeafRef comes up, also, are your SharePoint version is Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 or others?

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

• Proposed as answer by Mayur Joshi Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:13 AM
  • I followed the steps to reach the column properties and made the column not-required and it worked like a charm :-) Thank you for your help, Qiao!

Regards,

Vicky

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:49 PM