Very High Ram Usage on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer with the following specifications :

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel i5 CPU 750 @2.67 Ghz

4 GB of RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770

1 TB Hard Disk

I noticed that a few days ago my RAM usage is very high, always above 75%. This happens a few moments after every restart I did. It's only 25-30% at the beginning and then something made it spiked. The only recent major changes I made was uninstalling Norton 360 v5 and then installed ESET NOD32 Smart Security. I thought that this antivirus was automatically scanning things every once in a while and affected the ram usage, so I tried uninstalling it this morning and the ram usage didn't go down at all. If somebody can help telling me what's wrong I'd be very thankful.

This is a screenshot of my Windows Task Manager with the CPU sidebar gadget on the side

As you can see, nothing is using the ram so much. So please help me if there's anything I can do to get it back to normal. I've tried looking up the other threads here, tried some solutions, and none is working.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:10 AM

Answers

• Well turns out after a little bit more googling I found that ESET NOD 32 was the problem afterall. I just forgot to restart my computer after uninstalling it. Now I restarted it and everything is sound. Seems like the one year subscription will go to waste thanks to this problem. ESET should really address this problem right away. Thanks very much for your replies, I really appreciate it : )
    • Marked as answer by kebhow Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:44 PM

All replies

• please uninstall all unnecessary software.

and then install lincensed Antivirus on this system. ( i prefer Symantec to install ) . once u installed do a ful scan and check for the virus.

and also pleas show your networking tab and performance tab snapshot.

let us know

• Edited by V.M Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:01 PM
  • You seem to have a hell of a lot of processes running there...

'Normally' how mucg free RAM is there after the spike?

www.pc-support.uk.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Well turns out after a little bit more googling I found that ESET NOD 32 was the problem afterall. I just forgot to restart my computer after uninstalling it. Now I restarted it and everything is sound. Seems like the one year subscription will go to waste thanks to this problem. ESET should really address this problem right away. Thanks very much for your replies, I really appreciate it : )
    • Marked as answer by kebhow Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:38 PM

well after the spike it was only 10-15% remaining....

• Bro i'll prefer u to use home editions of windows 7 as ur ram is only 4 gbs ..... in my opinion u should go with home edition of windows 7 
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:33 AM
  • this has nothing to do with the Editions.

Run RAMMAp to see what uses most RAM:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/08/13/introduction-to-the-new-sysinternals-tool-rammap.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:07 AM