none
copy actions between projects with various time/calender settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

A collegue and I are trying to copy Actions from one Project file to another one.

The actions are all set up on a day basis - however one is set up on an 8 hour basis and the other one on a 24hour basis.

If I now copy and paste from one to the other project the days get messed up - they are either multiplied by 3 or divided by 3.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:46 PM

All replies

• deluxeDude,

What "actions" exactly are you copying?

Project has only one definition for a "day". If one of you has that set for 8 hours and the other has it set for 24 hours, then you will indeed see a multiplication or division in the Duration field if you copy tasks from one project to the other. That's the way Project works.

What is your end goal? If you explain that then maybe we can suggest a solution.

John

Monday, June 22, 2015 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

First, help may be understanding.

Project does not calculate in days but in minutes (equivalent to hours). So good try to have "actions set up on a day basis" but that does not exist in Project. It may SHOW durations in days but inside they are stored as hours.

So even when the chart shows "1 day" for Project these are very different durations - one 24 hours, one 8 hours. If you want equivalence, show durations in hours - copy/paste will not modify that and you may see the difference immediately.

Greetings,

Monday, June 22, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for your replies!

I hoped that we could simply make MS Project calculate in days but as you point out that does not work.

We are trying to incorporate one Document in the other one.

So now I manged to make one Document a subproject of the other one.

However that way I always need both Documents which is not an option plus we cant really switch them around.

Monday, June 22, 2015 5:18 PM
  • To explain a little further:

We made an (MS) project like this:

Master Project

sub a

sub b

sub c

sub c was sent to us via email and now we are trying to make it part of the general project.

Sub a and b were typed in by us.

Monday, June 22, 2015 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

This does not solve the calendar problem but still, when you make C a subproject, uncheck "Link to...". then C simply becomes part of the total ptoject.

Greetings,

Monday, June 22, 2015 6:54 PM
  • deluxeDude,

Okay so you need to combine the two documents. You indicated that you inserted one as a subproject of the other so I'm assuming you now have a dynamic structure, meaning the two documents are still separate but linked. Since linked project files are not that stable, I have a better suggestion. When you insert one document into the other uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. That will effectively copy the one document into the other and create a single project file. Once that is done, you can analyze the file to determine what changes need to be made for "day" compatibility.

Older versions of Project used include a built-in macro that re-formated durations but that macro in no longer available. However, MVP Rod Gill has written a free version of that macro and you may find it useful for re-setting your combined file. To get Rod's macro, see: http://www.project-systems.co.nz/VBA-Sample-Code/VBASampleFormatDuration.html.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:49 PM