Bitlocker Partition Recover RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Some days before I formatted my windows vista and installed windows 7 ultimate.then I installed bitlocker and applied it with password on D drive.Now I have again formatted windows and installed Vista Home Premium.Now when I try to open D: , it gives error "do you want to format this drive ?"I have got lots of important data .Kindly help me in this.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting!

When you enable Bitlocker, a recovery key is generated. Did you?

You are given an option of printering or saving the key to a file or saving the key to a USB flash drive for use as a startup key for later recovery use. If you save the key, it is saved in plain text, so you should store the file or USB flash drive in a secure location. This recovery key is only used in situations where other validation methods fail, or if the key is the only unlock method (such as in a Startup key only configuration).

If the recovery key is lost, I am sorry to say it can't be recovered. However, if you chose the TPM only configuratin that mean you did not get any recovery key when turnning on Bitlocker, you might recover it by reinstalling Windows 7 and turn off Bitlocker.

For more information, please visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424299(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting!

When you enable Bitlocker, a recovery key is generated. Did you?

You are given an option of printering or saving the key to a file or saving the key to a USB flash drive for use as a startup key for later recovery use. If you save the key, it is saved in plain text, so you should store the file or USB flash drive in a secure location. This recovery key is only used in situations where other validation methods fail, or if the key is the only unlock method (such as in a Startup key only configuration).

If the recovery key is lost, I am sorry to say it can't be recovered. However, if you chose the TPM only configuratin that mean you did not get any recovery key when turnning on Bitlocker, you might recover it by reinstalling Windows 7 and turn off Bitlocker.

For more information, please visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424299(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:27 AM
  • I had encrypted one of my partition with bitlocker.

While altering the partition structure using a third party software (EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.1 Home Edition), it asked me to convert the disk to dynamic, which I permitted it to.

There goes everything..my bitlocker protected partition just disappeared from MyComputer, along with another partition which was not encrypted. Later, I came to know that bitlocker doesn't support dynamic volumes. Also, the disk management starts showing an equivalent amount of free space (please note that it is not unallocated space, which is shown separately).

I tried to recover my data back, but nothing helped. The same EaseUS software helped me to recover my non-protected partition, and the "free space" is reduced to the size of encrypted partition, but it didn't worked for the other one.

There is another thing which amazed me. When I tried to create a RAW partition from that free space (after recovering one partition), the non encrypted partition, which I have already recovered, also disappears, leading me to the same scenario as in the very beginning.

What I did then is that I created a raw partition using EaseUS (after recovering one partition), and followed the same:

Scenario 16: Using the BitLocker Repair Tool to Recover a Drive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523219.aspx

After 100% decryption, it told me to run chkdsk command on the target volume, following which resulted in the following error:-

The type of the file system is NTFS.

The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.

Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

I've tried to access the drive but is not accessible.. :(

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:38 PM