none
Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. ...Outlook001.ost is not valid

Question

• Hello all,

I've have googled and read all the answers for this issue. One thing I noticed that no one mentioned or maybe thankfully you have not ran into this issue, is that no one has mentioned the error within a limited GPO user policy. What I mean is, with the same error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Windows. The set of folders cannot be opened. The path specific for the file C:\user\"User Name"\appdata\local\Microsoft\Outlook\"user name@domain.com" - outlook001.ost is not valid." I have tried to do all the commands and solutions mentioned but nothing has worked for me. What I'm certain is that the issue is due to the restriction and access the user has.

Let me explain my situation: I upgraded the hardware (desktop) with Windows 7 pro on a domain user account to a new desktop to increase performance on the desktop. Once I move the domain account to the new desktop all worked fine except outlook will give me the error mentioned. as mentioned I tried all solutions mentioned but nothing worked. After testing many options, I noticed that I only get this error when logging in as the troubled user but if I login on the same new desktop as an admin (either local or domain) I don't get the error and it lets me configure the troubled user account with no issue. Once I log off and re-login as the user, issue persists. I noticed that the step to run "Safe Mode" , it works but When I check the option to always use this profile, the option do not stay on and once closed safe mode. I get the error again.

Sorry for my horrible writing skills. I figured you will know what I mean if you work in this area of work. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I just wanted to update before I mark this issue as answered.

So, I was not able to resolve the error after trying all suggested. My AD accounts are setup as Roaming Accounts which I inherited from the previous admin. I decided to start getting away from roaming account and creating Local accounts on every client I have issues. Another example of roaming accounts I encountered was disappearing applications under the start button and was a not able to recover them also. In any case, these roaming profiles are just a big problem and was not able to recover this profiles from my backups.

So far, switching to local profiles on my network have worked great and users are happy.

Best,

Daniel

DannyNJ

• Marked as answer by DannyNJ Friday, May 5, 2017 7:08 PM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you are getting an error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Windows". Then you must need to know why are you getting this error.

Here in this article, user will get their solution easily.

Read More: - http://www.zooksoftware.com/blog/fix-ost-is-not-an-outlook-data-file/

(Don't forget to mark answer as "mark as answer")

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I can understand your issues, I had similar problem like yours !!

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.Cannot open the Outlook Windows.The set of folders cannot be opened " error appears if Navigation Pane settings file is corrupted. Sometimes this type of error appears if there is incorrect profile configuration, Outlook profile is created on older versions of Outlook, error in registry, analyzed corrupt OST data and so on.
    Whatever the reason this alert informed you the ost file cannot access.

I would like to suggest you a blog which deals with same issue. This blog should help:
    http://www.emaildoctor.org/blog/cannot-start-microsoft-outlook/ 

Thanks in advance !!

• Edited by aliceaggie Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:32 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

I have not tried this option. I will try it and see if it resolves the issue. For now, I got the user working again by creating a new AD account.

Thanks,

Daniel

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:56 PM
  • Hi Aliceaggie,

I've tried all these options and none helped. I believe my issue relies on the AD account login script. Once I created a new AD user account I was able to setup the account for the trouble user. Also, If I login as local admin or domain admin, I'm able to create the account as well so the issue is not a corrupted OST file.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

As it works when Outlook is started in safe mode, I'd recommend you have a try with the following steps:

Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.

1. Close Outlook if it is running.

2. Start Registry Editor.

3. Browse to the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook

Note x.0 in the above registry key represents 14.0 for Outlook 2010, 15.0 for Outlook 2013, 16.0 for Outlook 2016.

4. Rename the \Outlook part of this key to \Outlook-1.

5. Restart Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for the steps to try to resolve this issue. I did try to do these steps but it did not help. Outlook returned the same message right after I try to open it. I'm kind of string to look into the reason being for my issue to be related for having a Roaming Profile and installation the software on a different platform of Outlook. I will definitely update this threat as soon as I get a solution.

Thanks again,

Daniel

DannyNJ

Monday, April 24, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hello,

I just wanted to update before I mark this issue as answered.

So, I was not able to resolve the error after trying all suggested. My AD accounts are setup as Roaming Accounts which I inherited from the previous admin. I decided to start getting away from roaming account and creating Local accounts on every client I have issues. Another example of roaming accounts I encountered was disappearing applications under the start button and was a not able to recover them also. In any case, these roaming profiles are just a big problem and was not able to recover this profiles from my backups.

So far, switching to local profiles on my network have worked great and users are happy.

Best,

Daniel

DannyNJ

• Marked as answer by DannyNJ Friday, May 5, 2017 7:08 PM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 7:08 PM