Shared disk problem RRS feed

• Question

• Good day. I have a problem with shared disks. I have a File Server Cluster on two virtual machines with the Windows Server 2019 system. Three shared disks are connected to both servers. At some point beyond the files with the VHDS extension, there were also files with the AVHDX extension. I would like to liquidate these differential files and stay only with the original disks but in the Hyper-V manager if I choose the "Edit Disk ..." option and indicate a disk with the AVHDX extension, I do not have the "Merge" option. Just like in powershell, I issue the command Get-VHD gets a message that the file is not a differential disk. So how can I get rid of these files with the AVHDX extension. I would like to add that I would not like to create these discs again because it is no solution. They are also not system disks. They contain only shared data.
    Regards.
    Monday, January 20, 2020 8:11 AM

Answers

• You don't get rid of the files with the AVHDX extension. They are not really differencing disks.

The .avhdx is part of the VHD set. A VHD set contains two types of files:

- .vhds

- .avhdx <- this one contains your data

The VM itself connects to the .vhds and Hyper-V will know what to do with the files.

Get-VHD for a normal AVHDX file will return: VhdType : Differencing, but for an AVHDX file in a vhds it will return VhdType: Dynamic.

• Marked as answer by Balrog13 Thursday, April 30, 2020 7:13 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2020 1:37 PM

All replies

• You don't get rid of the files with the AVHDX extension. They are not really differencing disks.

The .avhdx is part of the VHD set. A VHD set contains two types of files:

- .vhds

- .avhdx <- this one contains your data

The VM itself connects to the .vhds and Hyper-V will know what to do with the files.

Get-VHD for a normal AVHDX file will return: VhdType : Differencing, but for an AVHDX file in a vhds it will return VhdType: Dynamic.

• Marked as answer by Balrog13 Thursday, April 30, 2020 7:13 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2020 1:37 PM
  • Thank you for your response. Is it possible to make a checpoint with connected shared disks? And can you back them up? I have a backap system that until recently worked in such a way that I added these disks to exclusions. But recently backups have ceased because you can't take a snapshot. With Hyper-V manager I can't do a checkpoint either.

This is a message from hyper-v when it tries to do chackpoint:

"Cannot take checkpoint for "virtual_machine_name" because one or more shareable VHDX are attached and this is not part of a checkpoint collection"

• Edited by Balrog13 Thursday, January 30, 2020 7:32 AM completion of data
    Monday, January 20, 2020 2:34 PM