none
Issue with DHCP, DNS Server while moving from 2003 to 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are finally trying to get rid of Windows Server 2003 which is a Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP Server.

Basically, we have 2 DC (2003 and 2008 R2). We are planning to demote or decommission 2003 Server then leave it for a week with just 2008 R2 then install 2012 R2 server with new DC.

My problem is that both server(2003 and 2008 R2) are AD, DNS and DHCP. I have moved all the FSMO roles from 2003 server to 2008 R2. I have even exported DHCP database and authorised then 2008 R2 server. However, as soon as I stop DHCP and DNS service 2008 R2 server doesn't seem to overtake its new position. So basically, what I am saying is that once I stop those services in 2003 Server, 2008 server doesn't lease any IP. It just doesn't work and as soon as I start running my DHCP services everything starts working fine. Same problem with DNS, if the service is stopped it will start loading pages and sends error saying it can't access.

What am I doing wrong here, I have moved FSMO, DHCP is installed, authorised and running and 2008 R2 was always secondary DNS Server.

Regards,

Aarif

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The answer to my question is that the in our firewall we hasn't specify the new DHCP Server IP and even DNS IP.

Guys working before I come didn't clearly demote 2000 server and the firewall still had that info of old DC (I am not talking about 2003 but 2000).

So finally cleared up everything removed all demoted and going to demote DC and replaced the IP with new DC (2008).

Everything seems to working now

Note:- After fixing DHCP issue we had issue with DNS so it was something similar. We had so much trouble because we have 3rd party who looks after our Firewall, router, switch and everything to do with network.

Friday, March 4, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can check the steps on article for migrate from server 2003 to 2008,

http://blogs.msmvps.com/mweber/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2/

Then please run "dcdiag /test:dns " and paste result on OneDrive.

After dhcp migration check old dhcp server still on domain "Netsh dhcp show server"and if it comes on list run "netsh dhcp delete server ServerDNSServerIP" for delete old dhcp from domain.Finaly make sure run "netsh dhcp add server ServerDNSServerIP" for authorize to new dhcp server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hi Aarif, since you said you were migrating from 2003 to 2008, please check out the following.

For DHCP:
    Steps to move a DHCP database from a Windows Server 2003 or 2008 to another Windows Server 2008 machine:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/06/27/steps-to-move-a-dhcp-database-from-a-windows-server-2003-or-2008-to-another-windows-server-2008-machine.aspx

For DNS:
    Can you confirm whether it was DNS AD-integrated, or is it configured as standard Primary/Secondary?  As you did mention "secondary DNS server", if that actually is the case, then the new DNS server should have been configured as a secondary for the old one, after letting the info replicate from the original 2003-master to the 2008-secondary, then mark the 2008 DNS server as a master.  Note, you'll also have to account for re-pointing all of your network's DNS clients to the new server, removing the old one only after you are sure they are getting service from the new one.  You should always have two servers for them to point at, however, not just one.  Check the below article for more info.  

Checklist: Migrate a DNS Server:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755303.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:24 PM
  • It seems that your DHCP relay agents are not point to your new server to forward DHCP requests to it - If this is the case then that is the cause of your issue.

Please also use dcdiag and repadmin commands to make sure that your DC and AD replication are in healthy status.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 21, 2016 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

I figured this out last week after posting this question and "Ahmed" is suggesting as well. I had a doubt that our Firewall DHCP Relay agent wasn't configured with new IP of 2008R2 server (new DHCP Server). I have asked our Network company to change the IP of OLD DC 2003 to New DC 2008 R2.

Once I am know that it was the issue i'll mark this as solved.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Monday, February 22, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

The answer to my question is that the in our firewall we hasn't specify the new DHCP Server IP and even DNS IP.

Guys working before I come didn't clearly demote 2000 server and the firewall still had that info of old DC (I am not talking about 2003 but 2000).

So finally cleared up everything removed all demoted and going to demote DC and replaced the IP with new DC (2008).

Everything seems to working now

Note:- After fixing DHCP issue we had issue with DNS so it was something similar. We had so much trouble because we have 3rd party who looks after our Firewall, router, switch and everything to do with network.

Friday, March 4, 2016 9:29 AM