none
Scheduled Tasks History Retention settings

Question

• Hello,

I am currently only able to view the History for my Scheduled Tasks going back only 1 day on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Is there a way to increase this to at least 7 days?

I have noticed that on Windows Server 2008 R2 the History seems to at least go back 3 days.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Daniel

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

I believe you need to increase the below eventlog's Properties to retain more logs.

History pulls eventID 140 from here. A task's history is tracked by events in the Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler event log.

Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operational

Set Log Retention Policy - TechNet - Microsoft - Default is 10MB of data, if you run lots of schtsk then it needs to be increased.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel WWS Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Great thank you Satyajit!

The current value was 1MB for my system so I have increased this to 1GB to see how many days of History this will give me. 

I take it there is no way to set the logs to clear after 7 days instead of having them clear based on the log file size?

Kind regards,
    Daniel

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

The options vary log to log basis, for this one, you need to do it using size. Keep track for few weeks and you would know the exact size required to keep 7days data.

Your 1MB setting would mean, someone is worried on the disk space, so be careful, you should start small, make it 100MB and see how much it retains. 

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 10:37 AM