How to enable 802.1x Authentication on Windows XP SP2 (wired) via Script ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

is there a way to enable and configure the authentication settings for the wired adapter via script ? I just configured IAS and my procurve switches to authenticate the clients with RADIUS but i also have a lot of SP2 clients which i have to configure for PEAP.

Updating to SP3 (which is much easier to configure) is not an option. Can someone help me ?

Greets
    Stephan
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:28 AM

Answers

• Stephan,
    There is no easy way to go about using script to check the authentication tab. I was also in the same boat few years back and ultimately with helpdesk's help we "brute force" set all workstations to the PEAP authentication we wanted.

However, there are few things you can do (other than the PEAP authentication)
    1. you can set the reg key for EAPOL by pushing it out through GPO
    2. you can enable the authentication in HP procurve switch one-by-one so it will not impact helpdesk's workload.

my two cents.

-Charles

• Marked as answer by Stephan G Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:47 PM

All replies

• Stephan,
    There is no easy way to go about using script to check the authentication tab. I was also in the same boat few years back and ultimately with helpdesk's help we "brute force" set all workstations to the PEAP authentication we wanted.

However, there are few things you can do (other than the PEAP authentication)
    1. you can set the reg key for EAPOL by pushing it out through GPO
    2. you can enable the authentication in HP procurve switch one-by-one so it will not impact helpdesk's workload.

my two cents.

-Charles

• Marked as answer by Stephan G Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Thanks Charles for your answer.

I think i will do it like that. For your first suggestion i found a nice newsgroup entry from 2005.

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.win2000.security/2005-06/0126.html

I'll try if that works.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:12 AM