none
Setup/migrate to VAMT 3.0

General discussion

• We currently run VAMT 2.0 for activating Windows 7/Office 2010 using our KMS key and need to upgrade to VAMT 3.0 for Windows 8/2012. I want to setup a new server with VAMT 3.0 alongside and migrate across but little bit unsure on few steps. In order for our current Windows 7/Office 2010 to continue activating via our new VAMT 3.0 server, is it simple changing the DNS entry for _VLMCS to new server or do I need to delete this and activate new server which should automatically take care of this. Or do I actually select all the licensed products in VAMT 3.0 and re-activate that way?

My plan so far is :

1) Install PowerShell 3.0
    2) Download ADK http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652 which includes VAMT 3.0.
    3) Select Volume Activation Management Tool and SQL Server 2012 Express
    4) Start VAMT - enter .\ADK as Database server - create new database called 'VAMT3.0'.
    5) Right click Products and select Discover products.
    6) Select Products in the left pane. In middle, right-click the selection and select Update license status and Current credential from the context menu.
    7) Look at the license summary. This should tell you what VAMT automatically discovered.
    8) Click View, - Preferences. Under Key Management Services host selection, make sure Find a KMS host automatically using DNS (default) is selected.
    9) Right click Product Keys, Add Product Keys :
    W7 Enterprise = ***********
    W7 Professional = ***********
    Office 2010 Standard = ***********
    2008R2 = ***********
    10) Uninstall the KMS key from VAMT 2.0 server by running : cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr -upk
    11) Install the default KMS key on VAMT 2.0 server : cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr /ipk ******************** (2008R2 – default key)
    14) Delete the _VLMCS record from DNS (Forward Lookup Zone - _tcp).
    15) Activate KMS on new VAMT 3.0 server : slmgr.vbs /ato
    16) Check DNS record is pointing to new VAMT 3.0 server.
    17) Perform test.
    18) Check KMS count either in VAMT console or : slmgr.vbs /dli

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• How did your migration play out? Where you successful with the above steps?

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Migration all went well thank you. Even after migrating to a different 2008R2 server, I more recently went to a new 2012 server. Process is slightly different for 2012 but not much different.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi, interesting ! I've got a 2008 R2 KMS Server (VAMT 2.0) that I want to upgrade to 2012.
    Could you explain the process ?
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:15 PM
  • No worries, the documentation I wrote is (I did have screen prints but not appropriate for here) :

Current KMS server
    Listed in DNS –_tcp - _VLMCS

Show KMS host details
    Old KMS server – command prompt as admin - cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

1. 2012 server install Volume Activation Services role
    2. Configure Volume Activation Service either from Server Manager or from Start – Volume Activation Tools.
    3. Select ‘Key Management Service (KMS)’ and make sure server name is listed.
    4. Enter server KMS host key and click Commit. This is the KMS product key listed against the server in the Microsoft licensing site.
    5. If you receive the following error, then close the tool and re-open as admin.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Click Commit.
    8. Click Next.
    9. You can configure the following options:
      1. Volume License Activation Interval (Default 2 hours) : How often the KMS client attempts activation before it is activated and during Grace and Notifications.
      2. Volume License renewal Interval (Default 7 days): How often KMS client renews it’s activation.
      3. KMS TCP Listening port (Default 1688): Port used by KMS.
      4. KMS Firewall Exceptions: Which firewall profile to add KMS exception to.
      5. DNS records (Default Yes): Publish the KMS record to DNS. If unchecked you can create the record manually using these steps.
      6. Publish to custom DNS zones: Names of additional DNS zones to publish the KMS record to.
    10. I suggest NOT SELECTING DNS publishing until the old KMS service has been decommissioned. Click Commit.
    11. Click Close.
    12. Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 feature.
    13. Download and install the latest Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK). Select  ‘Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT)’ and ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express’.
    14. Run the VAMT tool.
    15. Add all product keys in. You can export the product key list from old KMS server and import into new KMS server.
    16. Download and install the Microsoft Office 2013 Volume License Pack. When prompted, enter the Office 2013 KMS key.

17. From the old KMS server, run :
      1. slmgr /cdns  (disable DNS publishing)
      2. slmgr /upk   (uninstall Product Key)
      3. slmgr /cpky   (clear Product Key from registry)
    18. Restart the old KMS server.
    19. From new KMS server, run :
      1. slmgr /sdns  (Enable DNS publishing)
      2. Open Volume Activation Tool as admin :
        1. Enter KMS server name.
        2. ‘Skip to Configuration’.
        3. DNS Records, tick Publish.

20. Restart the new KMS server.
    21. Check if a new SRV record _VLMCS is created in DNS that points to new KMS host. If the record still points to old server, delete the SRV record. To speed things up, do this on every DNS server manually.
    22. Manually create DNS record :
      1. Expand local domain, right click _tcp folder and select ‘Other New Records’.
      2. Select ‘Service Location (SRV)’ and click ‘Create Record’.
      3. Enter information as :
        1. Domain = _tcp.**FQDN**
        2. Service = _VLMCS
        3. Protocol = _tcp
        4. Priority = 10
        5. Weight = 0
        6. Port = 1688
        7. Host offering service = KMS_server
    23. Login to old server and ignore the Windows Activation prompt. Run :
      1. slmgr /ipk <KMS Client Key for this Windows Edition>.
      2. All keys are publicly available and can be found here.
    24. From new KMS server, run :
      1. slmgr /dlv   (Display license info. Check if everything is OK)
      2. slmgr /xpr   (Expiration date. The server should be permanently licensed)
    25. From the old KMS server, run :
      1. ipconfig /flushdns
      2. nbtstat –RR
      3. slmgr /ato   (Activate Windows against the new KMS host. You will receive an error due to activation count. Suggest doing the same on 4/5 more servers)
      4. slmgr /dlv   (Review the license details).
    26. From new KMS server, open VAMT :
      1. Under Products, click Windows.
      2. Click ‘Discover products’.
      3. Click Search.
    27. All AD computers should appear in list.
      1. Highlight all computers in list, right click and select ‘Update license status’ – Current credential.
      2. Check to see what has activated and review anything that hasn’t.
    28. For Office 2010 KMS activations :
      1. Download the Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack.
      2. Install on KMS server.
      3. Enter Office 2010 KMS product key.
      4. Check status = cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864

29. Make sure no other services running on old KMS server ie) Remote Desktop licensing. If this is the case then :
      1. On new KMS server, install the Remote Desktop Services role and Remote Desktop Licensing Tools feature :
      2. Open Remote Desktop Licensing Manager :
        1. Right click server, Activate Server.
        2. Leave connection method on Automatic.
        3. Enter name, company, email and address.
        4. Within the wizard, leave default ‘Migrate licenses from another license server to this license server’.
        5. Select a reason.
        6. Enter source license server name.
        7. Choose appropriate license program. You can check this from the old license server (right click server, Manage Licenses).
        8. Enter Agreement number.
        9. Enter product version, license type and quantity :
      3. You may notice a warning icon on the server. Right click server, Review Configuration. I had a warning about the server not being a member of TS License server group. I clicked Add to Group and warning went away :
      4. On the old license server, right click server, Advanced – Deactivate Server.
    30. If you had to change the Remote Desktop license server, then you will need to change all Remote Desktop Services servers or Citrix XenApps to point to new license server.
      1. Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration – double click Remote Desktop license servers – remove and add new license server.

When you receive an error 0xC004F038 saying ‘The returned count from your Key Management Service is insufficient’ this is because the KMS server needs to have a certain amount of registration request before it activates them (5 servers; 25 desktops).

If you have servers that are not in your domain and you want to activate them, the SRV record in DNS might not be found. Use the command slmgr /skms <kms server FQDN>:1688 to force the KMS host address on that server.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hey

Big font but useful thank you.

Friday, June 29, 2018 2:29 PM