none
Server 2008 R2 OS Repair?

Question

• Hi,

I have a system that is unable to install windows updates and it is because the component store is corrupted.

STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT

00000085@2018/7/12:13:16:46.648 (F) d:\w7rtm\base\wcp\componentstore\storelayout.cpp(11690): Store corruption detected in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::CheckFamilyIndexForDeadWinnerComponent expression: (null)
      MissingWinningComponentKey on resource [72]"amd64_wstorvsp.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17734_none_8c502265c524f0f8"[gle=0x80004005]
        CSI    00000086 (F) STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT #494996# from CCSDirectTransaction::OperateEnding at index 0 of 1 operations, disposition 0[gle=0xd015001a]

I don't see another way to correct this but when I boot off my iso 2008 R2 SP1 disk there is a repair option but only for startup repair by starting startrep.exe. I can get into windows fine but the components store is corrupted. Any way I can do a 2008r2 repair?

TIA

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:22 PM

Answers

• You just run setup.exe from the root of the install media to start the repair.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by GibsonLP2012 Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:17 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:58 PM

All replies

• I'd verify system and servicing health by running;

sfc /scannow

also system update readiness tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Then check for errors in;
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry forgot to mention that I have already tried both of those commands and the SUR tool. That was why I think I need an OS repair. SFC nor Check SUR showed any errors TIA.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry forgot to mention that I have already tried both of those commands and the SUR tool. That was why I think I need an OS repair. SFC nor Check SUR showed any errors TIA.

What was the result? %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:50 PM
  • Here is the result, nothing really helpful but not sure what last line means
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:54 PM
  • You can try a repair install but also note that not all conditions can be repaired.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista-windows-7-windows

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Thank you, but this wont be an upgrade. So I select upgrade installation even though it is on that version?
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:57 PM
  • You just run setup.exe from the root of the install media to start the repair.

• Marked as answer by GibsonLP2012 Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:17 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:58 PM