Forefront for Sharepoint 2010 install "setup requires MDAC 2.8" RRS feed

• Question

• Installing Forefront for Sharepoint 2010 on a 2008r2 sp1 machine.  The installer runs for a bit then says "Setup requires MDAC 2.8".  I am given the option to install MDAC 2.8 (which is already built into server 2008) that does nothing and the "next" button is greyed out.  I attempted to install in compatability mode, run as administrator etc with not avail.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• I am running server 2008r2 with SP1 and SharePoint 2010.  when trying to install forefront for sharepoint 2010 i get the prompt "setup requires MDAC 2.8".  MDAC is integrated into the OS so im not sure why its complaining.  i am given the option to install MDAC, which does nothing and all other options are greyed out.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Is the install being run using elevated permissions?

Monday, April 4, 2011 2:02 AM
  • yes.  I also tried compatibility mode.  The problem also occurs on both of my WFE servers, both servers were created new specifically for SharePoint 2010.  I also disabled UAC
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:35 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Before installing Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint, you may read this requirement: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/forefront-protection-for-sharepoint-requirements.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Check, i have all of that.  In fact i believe all of that is installed as part of either Server 2008r2 or SharePoint 2010, which is why im confused as to why this isnt running.  This is happening on multiple servers too.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Please run a clean installation on the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine. besides SharePoint 2010, do you have install other application on it?

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:59 AM
  • These systems are dedicated to sharepoint so they have no other software installed on them.  do you mean a clean install of windows, sharepoint or forefront?  Forefront is a fresh install, its never been installed on here before.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:17 PM
  • This seems odd.

Can you download and run the MDAC Component Checker to ensure that MDAC is indeed installed correctly?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:40 PM
  • The tool was only supposed to run on server 2003 and i am running 2008r2.  It gives me a version mismatch on every file, since it wasnt made for server 2008r2 im hesitant to believe it.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi!

I'm running into the same problem.

Current configuration:
    - Clean windows 2008 R2 SP1 installation (Vmware machine).
    - Sharepoint 2010 webrole installed.
    - Installed Microsoft forefront protection for sharepoint 2010.

When I try to install the Antigen for SharePoint, I run into the error that I need to install MDAC 2.8. (but as already stated, that should be included in 2008 already). Nowadays it's called Windows DAC 6.0.

Anyway, if I run the Component Checker version 2.0 it gives me the following result:
    "The following product releases were matched:

UNKNOWN

Would you like to re-run the query for a specific product release?"

So it looks like MDAC isn't included at all.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I can't continue the AV (Antigen) installation because the "next" button is grayed out.

Regards,

Dennis

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Never got mine to work.  I am going to try again after sharepoint SP1 gets installed.  the antigen software for sharepoint seems neglected and way out of date
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Oh I didn't mention it but we're running Sharepoint SP1 already on this server... so I think this is not going to work for you neither.
    http://www.mrfreeze.nl
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Great..  well at least that saves me the effort.  let us know if you figure it out.  Im convinced the antigen software is just out of date
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Bringing the thread back from the dead..  I finally got the software to work by downloading a trial copy of the software from the sales website: http://www.microsoft.com/forefront , then inserting my existing key.  The installer i was downloading from MVLS or technet never did work.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:27 PM