none
Deploy Screen Saver ( .mov and .png ) through GPO

Question

• Hi,

We have Windows Server DC 2012 R2 Domain Controllers and Client Computers are windows 7.

How to deploy .mov and .png files as a screen saver. I have three files which I need to deploy as a single screen saver. 

file1.mov ( 802 KB )

file2.mov ( 2.27 MB )

file3.png ( 1.69 MB )

The display can be in sequence one by one, but it must be deployed as a single screen saver.

Since the total size is 4.8 MB, what will be the recommended procedure to deploy. Please advise.

Thanks in Advanced.

Regards,Ali

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

There is no unique file format for screensavers under the Microsoft Windows operating system. Rather, screen savers are simply executable files that have had their extension renamed from .EXE to .SCR so that Windows recognizes them as screensavers. In other words, we cannot publish a .mov and .png as a screensaver directly. There are numerous free converters available on the web, but I can't say that I've tested any of them. Just be careful in your search.

Once you have the .scr file, you'll need to deploy it to the %systemroot%\system32 directory of all applicable computers. Then use the appropriate group policy to apply it. This is the policy for Server 2012 R2:

Under User Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > Control Panel > Personalization there is an option for Force Specific Screensaver. In the field you need to type the name of your .scr executable of your screensaver.

Note: You can't place the screensaver on a network share. It has to be on the local computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Windows7 is somewhat limited in this regard, you may need to consider the Windows Live Photo Gallery addin, which extends things for this goal.

Windows 8 and later, include the Photo Gallery screensaver engine

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/create-your-own-screen-saver-windows-live-photo-gallery-2011

Note that WLPG doesn't have nice/simple Group Policy controls.

When I implemented something similar some time ago on Win7, I decided to avoid WLPG and use the simple Photo screensaver, and it shuffles through a collection of static JPG files only. This was a slightly fiddly task, as the folder where picture are sourced, is encoded in the registry, but I managed to use GP-Preferences to deploy the relevant registry keys/values and used ConfigMgr to deploy the collection of picture files to the target computer C: drive folder.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

There is no unique file format for screensavers under the Microsoft Windows operating system. Rather, screen savers are simply executable files that have had their extension renamed from .EXE to .SCR so that Windows recognizes them as screensavers. In other words, we cannot publish a .mov and .png as a screensaver directly. There are numerous free converters available on the web, but I can't say that I've tested any of them. Just be careful in your search.

Once you have the .scr file, you'll need to deploy it to the %systemroot%\system32 directory of all applicable computers. Then use the appropriate group policy to apply it. This is the policy for Server 2012 R2:

Under User Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > Control Panel > Personalization there is an option for Force Specific Screensaver. In the field you need to type the name of your .scr executable of your screensaver.

Note: You can't place the screensaver on a network share. It has to be on the local computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Windows7 is somewhat limited in this regard, you may need to consider the Windows Live Photo Gallery addin, which extends things for this goal.

Windows 8 and later, include the Photo Gallery screensaver engine

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/create-your-own-screen-saver-windows-live-photo-gallery-2011

Note that WLPG doesn't have nice/simple Group Policy controls.

When I implemented something similar some time ago on Win7, I decided to avoid WLPG and use the simple Photo screensaver, and it shuffles through a collection of static JPG files only. This was a slightly fiddly task, as the folder where picture are sourced, is encoded in the registry, but I managed to use GP-Preferences to deploy the relevant registry keys/values and used ConfigMgr to deploy the collection of picture files to the target computer C: drive folder.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:25 AM