none
Blocked from hotmail for namespace mining RRS feed

• Question

• An exchange server was recently restored a few weeks ago.

About a week ago, we started receiving notifications that hotmail will not deliver messages due to being on their blocklist for namespace mining: 

"COL0-MC3-F52.Col0.hotmail.com #550 SC-002 (COL0-MC3-F52) Unfortunately, messages from 165.228.149.55 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. ## "

Every article, every microsoft contact, every support note points to https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl3&ct=eformts as the only point of contact for removal. We have contacted them through this form multiple times, giving them the list of (<50) emails that were attempted to be sent to hotmail over two days, however the reponse is always the same, verbatim: 

"

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

More information needed 165.228.149.55 There are indications that the above IP(s) are engaged in namespace mining. Outlook.com is blocking all email sent from this IP."

we have been through the entire log for two days, and there is no evidence of namespace mining. How can we get this resolved? The client is becoming extremely frustrated.

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am having the same issue with my own environment, does your customer have any SPF records setup through their hosting in a TXT record?  My post is here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b96d62c2-588a-4871-bd6f-2b4fa9569337/cannot-send-to-hotmailcomoutlookcom-email-addresses-error-sc002-unfortunately-messages-from?forum=exchange2010

It just started happening with us as well so I think it has to do with some recent changes...

Go here and put in their domain:

http://mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx

To see if they have their spf records setup.

Monday, December 30, 2013 8:59 PM
  • "COL0-MC3-F52.Col0.hotmail.com #550 SC-002 (COL0-MC3-F52) Unfortunately, messages from 165.228.149.55 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. ## "

Hi jamiemccallum7373,

Just like the error message, if we are not the email/network admin, I still suggest contacting our ISP for help. 

I notice this "An exchange server was recently restored a few weeks ago."

Does this issue occur before restoring?

To understand this issue more clearly, would you like to correct me if I have any misunderstanding?

We have an Exchange Server and a Hotmail account. When used Outlook.com with Hotmail account to send to Exchange server, we (Outlook.com with Hotmail account) received an NDR as above.

If it is the case, we add the "165.228.149.55" IP into "AllowList" (Exchange Server Receive Connector).

More details in the following article:

Configure IP Allow List Properties

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125225(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it is helpful

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:08 AM
  • We are experiencing exactly the same issue. The problem we have is that we relay all outbound email via a third-party *message hygiene" service and it is an IP belonging to this third-party that has become blocked.

Twice I have completed this form and twice I have received a less than helpful response:

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

More information needed

There are indications that the above IP(s) are engaged in namespace mining. Outlook.com is blocking all email sent from this IP.

Namespace mining is a method commonly used by malicious senders to generate lists of email addresses. This approach uses automation to sift through possible email names seeking to identify valid email addresses, e.g., Joe@domain.com, John@domain.com, and Josy@domain.com.

You must correct the problem and you must stop the behavior described above. We recommend that you work with your email or network administrator to review the logs of your email servers. Check the sending log files and concentrate on logs that are sending to nonexistent @hotmail.com, @live.com, @msn.com, @outlook.com?with multiple tries and failures.

What I'd like to know is why MS believe we are engaged in 'namespace mining'.  There are no details about the actual email that triggered this or time / dates.  How are we supposed to track this down?  We have reviewed the logs of our email servers but it does not help.

This is extremely frustrating.

Graham

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:19 PM
  • We too are having this problem, and finding a warm body that is willing to help us resolve this issue appears impossible. As the Exchange Administrator of our network, you would think that there would be some resource to call on. My users are ticked off that they can't get their email through, and there has been no apparent malicious activity on our network that I can see.

-Richard

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:06 AM
  • Hi Richard,

I managed to resolve it by forwarding the SRX ticket to the address: delist@messaging.microsoft.com.  These guys actually replied with some meaningful info but still not all the info I needed.  I emailed back to ask for more info and they basically just said something along the lines of "Thank you for resolving the matter, we have lifted the block".

Good luck.  I feel your pain.

Regards,

Graham

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:13 AM
  • Thanks, will give that a shot!

-Richard

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:16 AM
  • Hi Richard,

I managed to resolve it by forwarding the SRX ticket to the address: delist@messaging.microsoft.com.  These guys actually replied with some meaningful info but still not all the info I needed.  I emailed back to ask for more info and they basically just said something along the lines of "Thank you for resolving the matter, we have lifted the block".

Good luck.  I feel your pain.

Regards,

Graham

The delist address no longer valid.   crap!!!
    Friday, November 6, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

We have our ip blocked by outlook since days, we sent to team outlook by this link "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&ccsid=635612678637576127&wa=wsignin1.0". but unfortunately we have not received any reply, currently, we don't know that should we do, so please we need your help as soon as possible.

Best regards

Indela
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:27 PM