none
IE11 hangs on "Choose your homepage and search settings", windows7 system RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a windows update. After that when I open IE11, the "Choose your homepage and search seetings" window pops up and hangs. The "Done" button is greyed and nothing happens when click it. And I can't close the window. If I click the main window, it "din" to the hanging window. Thought about uninstall IE and reinstall it, but it is not listed in programs to uninstall. I had to use "task manager" to kill it.
    • Edited by yangnma Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:19 AM
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:13 AM

All replies

• I have this same issue. Hopefully someone comes back with a fix, I will use mozilla for now.....
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Mine did the same. The last update I had to IE 11 on my machine was on august 10, 2016 it was KB3175443.

I uninstalled the update.

After re-booting the computer the annoying popup was gone.

This is not a long term fix, but will let you get past the problem until a longer term solution is available.

Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Simple solution.

Uninstall KB3175443.  Reboot to get internet access. Download Chrome.

Stop using IE

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:46 PM
  • I found the answer here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/choose-your-homepage-and-search-settings/2966bcb3-3ddb-4a26-8c51-07b5aa40e4ef?page=1&auth=1

Essentially, just need to create the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_EUPP_GLOBAL_FORCE_DISABLE

And then create a DWORD (32-bit) value within that key called "iexplore.exe"

And then set the value of that DWORD to 1

It worked for me, and lots of other people on the thread linked above!

Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:37 PM
  • How do you uninstall KB3175443
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:44 PM
  • How do you uninstall the update KB3175443 plz help and reply quickly.
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:46 PM
  • I uninstalled this and it did not work plzzzzz help
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 11:17 PM
  • So here’s what worked for me, Shutdown IE if you cannot shut it down, open Task Manager-> select iexplorer-> click End Task on all instances. Control Panel -> Internet Options 1. Delete Browsing History 2. Browsing History click Delete and check all boxes 3. click Delete This resolved it for me, i was unable to find the update mentioned in other reply’s, and I don’t recommend messing with the registry unless you know what you are doing, it can really mess everything up. Hope this works for others.
    Friday, August 17, 2018 1:55 PM