none
Capturing actual work for resources that do not have an NT ID RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 with SEM and protected timesheet actuals.  This has worked OK for what has been our typical scenario which has been that work is assigned to named resources that our contracted through a vendor.  Those resources have NT accounts and enter timesheets in project server. 

A recent change in our environment is the engagement of offshore resources through our vendors.  These resources will not have NT IDs and the vendor will provide weekly udpates of actual hours incurred against projects/tasks.

I have set up work resources ( "[Vendor] Offshore [Role]" ) to plan/manage the work assigned to offshore.  What we are finding is that when we try to update the actual work for the resource: 

• The system accepts the actual work (temporararily) but gives the message related to Actual work getting out of sync with protected actuals. 
    • The manually enterred actual work is wiped out upon save/publish.

I'm assuming that the Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" is the "gotcha" here. 

My first thought was to go in as delegate for these resources and submit timesheets (which we could delegate to the vendor), but it appears that I am unable to set up a delegate for resources that do not have an NT ID associated.  There are no NT IDs that can be associated with these  -- the company's security policies prevent the creation of "dummy accounts" for these purposes.

Can anyone suggest options for:

1. enabling "named" resources to continue to enter timesheets and prevent PMs from overriding actual work that came through the task updates
    2. enabling PMs to input actual work for these "un-named" offshore resources

if there are no pure options available , help assessing the risks/considerations related to compromise opions such as turning off  "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" are appreciated.  I'm wondering if I need to used material resources for these offshore resources instead.

Note that in our reporting, we source actual work and cost for work resources based on timesheet data rather than from the assignments.

• Edited by Grady Byram Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:55 PM cleaned up some html gibberish that was embedded in pasted text
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Answers

• I found a way to reliably save a bogus ID and act as delegate for these users.  After assessing both options, this is the direction we will take.  After the initial set up, it enables us to leverage all our other processes and reports with little to no changes.

The process changes, lack of reporting available on the SR data (not to mention the added complexity of combining assignment, timesheet and, additionally, SR data depending on resource type) and retraining that would be required made the assignment owner/status report method much less appealing.

Thanks to Guillaume and Michael for their input.

• Marked as answer by Grady Byram Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your scenario, you should use the assignment owner: assign as usual the offshore resources to the tasks but use the assignment owner column in MS Project Pro to specify who should be responsible for the task progress update of those assignments.

See reference here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/assignment-owner-assignment-field-HA010167479.aspx

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:09 AM
  • You change setup resources by doing the following

1) For NT account - use a bogus account MyDomain\Nobody1

2) Uncheck the AD Sync.

Then you should be able to use delegation.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:44 AM
  • Thanks gents ... will explore both of these this afternoon and report back.

Regards,

Grady

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 5:13 PM
  • I am having luck with the assignment owner ... this seems promising.

I am not having luck, however, changing to a bogus NT ID ... even if AD Sync is unchecked, it still will validate/fail the bogus NT ID.  Before I give up on this ... any other thoughts on tricking the server into accepting a dummy NT ID?

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:20 PM
  • After looking at the assignment owner option, I am able to update the actual work via My Work and submit.  Then, I can review/approve via Approval Center.  So, operationally, it seemed to provide an acceptable way forward.   ... but then I tried reporting on the data.  I couldn't find where the task update data is available in the reporting db.  I'm very familiar with the timesheet data but can't seem to find where non-timesheet task update data is available.  A quick google indicated it is Status Report data which is available in published db  (SR tables) but not in the reporting database.  From my point of view it might as well not exist at all.  Thanks Microsoft.

Long story short, since the status report data from My Work is not available in the RDB, I would like to explore further any "dummy" NT ID workarounds more so we can submit updates via timesheets instead of MyWork/Status Reports.  The timesheet process is very familiar (we don't use status reports otherwise) and there would be no impact on our existing reports.

Ultimately I just need to be able to act as a delegate for a resource that is not a real person with their own (valid) NT ID. IT is unlikely to accept any business case for creating IDs for this purpose.

• Edited by Grady Byram Friday, August 8, 2014 9:07 PM typos, poor wording
    Friday, August 8, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Hi Grady,

I'd stick with the assignment owner option, which is more aligned with the best practices. Have you checked this article about querying the assignments status?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, August 8, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Thanks.  I had not seen that one.  I will look into it next week.
    Friday, August 8, 2014 9:59 PM
  • I found a way to reliably save a bogus ID and act as delegate for these users.  After assessing both options, this is the direction we will take.  After the initial set up, it enables us to leverage all our other processes and reports with little to no changes.

The process changes, lack of reporting available on the SR data (not to mention the added complexity of combining assignment, timesheet and, additionally, SR data depending on resource type) and retraining that would be required made the assignment owner/status report method much less appealing.

Thanks to Guillaume and Michael for their input.

• Marked as answer by Grady Byram Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:52 PM