none
Date formula help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am new to ms project and I need to write several formulas that will help determine the submission timeline for several task. Each task follows the same specific timeline, only they start at different times of the year. The below is the timeline guide as well as the order in which the task are tracked.

Inaugural Construction date – ex. 7/1

DAD Submission date - 12 weeks prior to construction

PS&E Submission dat2 - 2-3 weeks after DAD submission

Project approval date – 6 weeks after DAD submission

Project obligation date – 2 weeks after project approval date

FEAW/Etc. – 4 weeks before DAD submission date.

I would like  is to create a formula or formulas using the above timeline guide where i would input the inaugural construction date and the other dates would be automatically inputted instead of having to manually for each project. If this is possible any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if a screenshot would help better illustrate how I set up my project.

Thank you

Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:30 PM

Answers

• citytime,

Welcome to Project. You are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Once you get into it, working with Project will be plenty challenging so let me lay out one way to create the simple sequence you have, no formulas required. Since each of your dates are singular (i.e. a starting point), in the following screen shot I've shown each as a milestone. Also, you list your timeline in weeks so I will assume you mean calendar weeks instead of working weeks, that's why the "ewks" (elapsed weeks).

By using leads and lags in the Predecessor fields, the sequence is linked as desired. Note, the PS&E submission is a variable (2-3 weeks) which has to be fixed, so I selected 3 weeks. You can change it by simply changing the value in the Predecessor field.

Note, all milestones are auto-scheduled which is what you want to do. By simply changing the Start field of the Inaugural Construction Date, the whole sequence will shift as needed.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, March 25, 2019 12:10 AM
  • You don't need formulas. All you need is to select an appropriate project start date (one that gets task 1 to happen when you want it to happen, and predecessors, like this.

ID Task Name Duration Start Finish Predecessors
    1 Inaugural Construction date – ex. 7/1 0 days 01/07/19 01/07/19 2FS+60 days
    2 DAD Submission date - 12 weeks prior to construction 0 days 08/04/19 08/04/19 6FS+20 days
    3 PS&E Submission dat2 - 2-3 weeks after DAD submission 0 days 22/07/19 22/07/19 1FS+15 days
    4 Project approval date – 6 weeks after DAD submission 0 days 20/05/19 20/05/19 2FS+30 days
    5 Project obligation date – 2 weeks after project approval date 0 days 03/06/19 03/06/19 4FS+10 days
    6 FEAW/Etc. – 4 weeks before DAD submission date. 0 days 12/03/19 12/03/19

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:02 AM

All replies

• citytime,

Welcome to Project. You are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Once you get into it, working with Project will be plenty challenging so let me lay out one way to create the simple sequence you have, no formulas required. Since each of your dates are singular (i.e. a starting point), in the following screen shot I've shown each as a milestone. Also, you list your timeline in weeks so I will assume you mean calendar weeks instead of working weeks, that's why the "ewks" (elapsed weeks).

By using leads and lags in the Predecessor fields, the sequence is linked as desired. Note, the PS&E submission is a variable (2-3 weeks) which has to be fixed, so I selected 3 weeks. You can change it by simply changing the value in the Predecessor field.

Note, all milestones are auto-scheduled which is what you want to do. By simply changing the Start field of the Inaugural Construction Date, the whole sequence will shift as needed.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, March 25, 2019 12:10 AM
  • You don't need formulas. All you need is to select an appropriate project start date (one that gets task 1 to happen when you want it to happen, and predecessors, like this.

ID Task Name Duration Start Finish Predecessors
    1 Inaugural Construction date – ex. 7/1 0 days 01/07/19 01/07/19 2FS+60 days
    2 DAD Submission date - 12 weeks prior to construction 0 days 08/04/19 08/04/19 6FS+20 days
    3 PS&E Submission dat2 - 2-3 weeks after DAD submission 0 days 22/07/19 22/07/19 1FS+15 days
    4 Project approval date – 6 weeks after DAD submission 0 days 20/05/19 20/05/19 2FS+30 days
    5 Project obligation date – 2 weeks after project approval date 0 days 03/06/19 03/06/19 4FS+10 days
    6 FEAW/Etc. – 4 weeks before DAD submission date. 0 days 12/03/19 12/03/19

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:02 AM