Windows Vista Home Premium caught in loop installed automatic download! RRS feed

• Question

• I've read myself cross-eyed, and no one has my problrm or no one answers with helps! My Win Vista HP is stuck in an endless loop of trying to install the 3rd part of a 3 part download (automatic). Didn't know until early today. It had worked on it all night. Then it still is looping. I have tried everything. Safe Mode acts right until you think you can get at it. Starts looping again. Command prompt is shown as an option but won't work. No matter if I hard boot and use F8 or try all other helps nothing works. Everything goes into that loop. I'm weary of it. I've spent hours on it. I'm giving up for now, but I really need my laptop. I see that we should load this, install that. I can't do anything. I have no CD for Vista. Company wouldn't send it. I was ticked! I don't know how to use Recivery /disks so I'm waiting for info on that. I cannot go to last best configuration. I can click it (choose it) but that just causes it to go back into the loop. I'm not sure if I could boot into the CD either. It never seeks it, but i have nothing in the drive for fear of losing valuable files and work. I have SO much in there of value it's scary. I cannot pay for a consultant, but I need to fix this pronto!!! I can't buy the CD even tho' many don't foll with Vista any longer. The problem was known long before I bought the HP laptop but no one bothered to let scores of buyers know the pitfalls that would come. And why is it doint this two or three years after it was known for goodness sake!? So I can't pay. I can't solve it yet, and I'm in so much trouble for not getting on as of this morning as to be silly. I'm using my old Dell PC, and it's tough to move fast enough, but it's all I have. Hard to get helps because I'm identified as Win2000 trying to fix WinVista. Go figure! HELP ASAP, and thanks a LOT!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:00 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you can't boot into system, WinRE will prompt. Always use System Restore in WinRE first.

If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command from the command prompt to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you can't boot into system, WinRE will prompt. Always use System Restore in WinRE first.

If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command from the command prompt to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:00 AM
  • almost everyone from microsfoft or related sites telll same isntruction: command propmt: my problem: no matter what mode i choose from options, window start update, revert ....forever....  there is no where allow me to enter any command ( if can find install/boot cd, no one come to helpless site to look for anwser )
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:19 PM
  • you assume all window vista users are mainly programmer work at home?  i have been working whole weekend try to break up endless update loop on one of my home pc.   aim try all login mode, none of give me command prompt.  And every manufactre came with diffirenct kind of recovery dvd.  mine doesn't give me option to repaire, but erase all hard drive. 
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:09 PM
  • I just now have exactly same problem.. oh here we go! *sigh*
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:43 AM
  • I just now have exactly same problem.. oh here we go! *sigh*
    And now I just fixed it.. deleting 'pending.xml' process.  After all these years, the idiot Microsoft bug is still catching us out, what a joke!
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:54 AM