Wizard fails in windows server 2016 when adding roles and features (more specifically "Active Directory Domain Services" (and any other role)). RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get "Active Directory Domain Services" installed using the Server Manager wizard. I select all options I would like to have installed. When I get to the screen where there is a button that reads "Install", I click on the button, the window briefly flashes and I get a red X, without any error message. Note: this is a brand new installation of Windows Server 2016 DataCenter with GUI, fresh off the ISO we have.

I did plenty of research and reading, and trying different things, and it appears I am not alone:

• Some people indicate you must run the process as the local administrator. Check. Still a no go.
    • Some people suggest uninstalling the entire GUI and re-installing it. Seems overkill to me. I will not try that unless someone from Microsoft itself indicates this would definitely solve the problem.
    • Some people indicated that "The redirection of the Documents folder through group policy causes this issue." They then discourse on how to change GPO... I find that unlikely. I don't even have Group Policy setup yet, since this is a fresh install of Windows Server 2016, not yet in a domain at all. Again, I will not try that unless someone from Microsoft itself indicates this would definitely solve the problem.
    • Some people indicate different languages being installed in the server. None that I know of. How would I check that? But again, unlikely.
    • Some people indicate "NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES" needs to have the "Logon as a service" permission. Check. Still a no go.
    • Some people indicate I should run "sfc /scannow" Check. Still a no go. Detail: I can run sfc /scanow several times, reboot several times, and the result is always the same: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log."
      Looking at the CBS.log, I see several lines that read "Primitive installers committed for repair" and some that have different errors. For example "000012ac Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\ActiveDirectory in component Microsoft-ActiveDirectory-PowerShell-ModuleFiles, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}"
      AND:
      "00001307 Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Cem in component Microsoft-Foundation-Diagnostics-ErrorDetails, version 10.0.14393.2608, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}"
      AND:
      "00001309 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:81 ml:82]'\??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\NetworkSwitchManager\en-US' is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-NetworkSwitch-Management.Resources, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}"
      Long story short, there are several of these errors that I posted here, but it indicates success at the end. 
    • I also found this. I went ahead and successfully ran items 1 through 4. Same results after running sfc /scannow (...successfully repaired...) Looking on the sfcdetails.txt placed on the desktop, I have:
    "...2018-11-24 12:49:53, Info                  CSI    00005a2b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2018-11-24 12:49:55, Info                  CSI    00005a65 [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\NlsData0000.dll from store...

...2018-11-24 12:50:19, Info                  CSI    00006005 [SR] Verifying 36 components
    2018-11-24 12:50:19, Info                  CSI    00006006 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    0000602b [SR] Verify complete
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    0000602c [SR] Repairing 1 components
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    0000602d [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    0000602f [SR] Repairing corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\NlsData0000.dll from store
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    00006032 [SR] Repair complete
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    00006033 [SR] Committing transaction
    2018-11-24 12:50:20, Info                  CSI    00006038 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired" 

And the wizard still fails. Note: It seems to fail for any role I try to install. Also please note: I tried installing using PowerShell, and yes, it worked in PowerShell when I followed the PowerShell instructions here. But I don't want to have to go to PowerShell to install the entire domain structure. There must be a way to get the wizard working!

Any useful solution would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Raphael

rferreira

• Edited by rferreira.dba Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:40 PM misspelling
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:08 PM

Answers

• I found the problem. My Windows Server 2016 installation is running as a VM, using Parallels Desktop. In the settings for the Virtual Machine you can set several things, among those, sharing of Mac's drives as mapped network locations, and also sharing of the Server's drives as mapped locations for the host OS X. I found the hint on a Parallels forum that this would cause the installation wizard to fail due to Windows Server not being able to deal with those shares properly. I went ahead and removed all sharing options, and pronto, all worked well. Best, R

rferreira

• Marked as answer by rferreira.dba Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:10 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Can we check the following:
    1.When we installed the operating system on Window server 2016, do we set its IP address, subnet mask and default gateway, preferred DNS server on TCP/IPv4 as below?

2. When the above is set, we can try to see if we can add roles and features.
    3. Check which roles and features have been installed by the command Get-WindowsFeature . In particular, we check if Active Directory Certificate Services is installed.

4. If all the above does not work, please provide the screenshot with "the window briefly flashes and I get a red X" and check if there is any Windows logs in Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Setup when we can not install.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 26, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?
    Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:11 AM
  • Daizy, thank you for your reply. I have not had a chance to attempt the ip configurations you proposed. I will do so as soon as I have a chance and let you know. Thank you once more. Best, Raphael

rferreira

Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:16 AM
  • Hi,
    OK. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Hello Daisy, same results. I'm attaching two screenshots. 1 from when I switch the adapter card to the values that you suggested. It throws an error, "The same gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP address and subnet mask." (192.168.0.1), subnet (255.255.255.0) default gateway (192.168.2.1), and preferred DNS server (127.0.0.1). Then, I go ahead and try to add the domain controller (Active Directory Domain Services) role to the server once more. SAME exact results. I get a very quick flicker of a screen I cannot see (it blinks too fast), and then I get the red X with no useful explanation. I am attaching the screenshot of the red X display. This is happening consistently. Very frustrating. Please advise. Thank you in advance, Raphael

rferreira

• Edited by rferreira.dba Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:45 AM Misspelling
    Monday, December 17, 2018 7:40 PM

• rferreira

Monday, December 17, 2018 7:41 PM

• rferreira

Monday, December 17, 2018 7:42 PM
  • I found the problem. My Windows Server 2016 installation is running as a VM, using Parallels Desktop. In the settings for the Virtual Machine you can set several things, among those, sharing of Mac's drives as mapped network locations, and also sharing of the Server's drives as mapped locations for the host OS X. I found the hint on a Parallels forum that this would cause the installation wizard to fail due to Windows Server not being able to deal with those shares properly. I went ahead and removed all sharing options, and pronto, all worked well. Best, R

rferreira

• Marked as answer by rferreira.dba Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:10 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:10 AM
  • thank you very much
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 3:50 PM
  • No prob. Raphael.

rferreira

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:24 PM