none
CreateObject etc in Mac Office 2016 RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• It's still a bug. But not reporting it only ensures it will never get solved.
    Saturday, August 3, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Thanks. But does everyone experience this problem or are Microsoft saying they can’t reproduce it, so e.g. it may result from some configuration problem?

Peter Jamieson

Sunday, August 4, 2019 6:27 AM
  • This code will produce a Run-time Automation error error every time in both 2016 and 2019 for Mac. I put this on a Word page before reporting the problem, so I could include it in a screen shot:

Sub OLEtest()
      Dim xl_appl As Object
      Set xl_appl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    End Sub

Sunday, August 4, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Thanks.

I thought it was worth setting up a clean copy of Mac OS + install from the App Store (normally I install from a 365 account). Also tried to ensure that there were no barriers to do with macro security, opening screens getting in the way etc. etc.

Then eventually sent off a "frown"

Even GetObject doesn't work, although it does not hang up for a minute or so like CreateObject.

It's difficult to see how the dev team could be experiencing this particular problem for any length of time which is why I wonder whether they might have done some tweaks to their security environment (for example) that they've forgotten they've done.

Peter Jamieson

Sunday, August 4, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for jkorchok's kind sharing. Hope the issue could be resolved in later version of Office.

If you have any comments or suggestions on Office for Mac, you can follow the ways in the article How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office? to submit your feedback.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Curious that automating PowerPoint with the equivalent VBA actually works as I would expect (i.e. GetObject fails with 429 if the applicationis not running, succeeds if it is, and CreateObject succeeds. 

So it doesn't look as if there is any fundamental problem such as a change to Mac OS security or sandboxing.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, August 5, 2019 3:09 PM