none
MOF vs. ITIL vs. ITSM RRS feed

• Question

• I have an opportunity to "build" an IT deparment within a smaller organization. 
    Data: Bank, 180 PC's, 14 geographic locations, servers etc. 
    We are going through change so now is the time to get some of this stuff in there.

I was wondering if I should just work with MOF 4.0 or should I delve into ITIL or ITSM?  What is the difference between all of these?

If MOF is the way to go, should I just use the free MOF 4.0 download or should I get training?  I am already on board with this stuff, so maybe I could send someone else to training.  do they offer cert for MOF?

thanks
    Monday, August 11, 2008 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hi ZCBD, Very good question. Let's strat with some (summary) definitions:

MOF: It is practical guidance for everyday IT practices and activities, helping users establish and implement reliable, cost-effective IT services.

ITIL: A framework of best practice techniques to facilitate the delivery of high-quality information technology services. ITIL outlines an exhaustive set of management procedures to support organizations in achieving both value and quality in IT operations.

ITSM: It is an approach that combines proven methods such as process management and known in-dustry best practices, in the area of IT Service Management, to enable any organization to de-liver quality IT services that satisfy customer business needs and achieve performance targets specified within service level agreements.

Well, I think that MOF is the Microsoft approach about ITIL and both are methods to implement and use ITSM. In my opinion you have to use MOF and ITIL to achieve the ITSM.

YES, the MOF 3.0 has certification and the MOF 4.0 will be an exam soon, take mor info here:  http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/94b8b078-d763-4923-8947-99cf467e73d9

And if you have questions about MOF 4.0 see this http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/158fa944-9ded-496a-9285-bdd34bb57a5f , if you want more detailed information about MOF 3 & 4 look this http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/ab4cdac9-7cb4-4786-8159-4871f3f425f5

Hope that helps. Good luck in your projects my friend,

Best Regards

Cleber Marques

MOF Brazil Project (Microsoft MVP - Most Valuable Professional)

www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Consider looking into ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management to provide extra validation to your MOF and ITIL efforts. 

Van Haren has a nice ISO 20k pocket guide (ISBN 978907721290) and
    BSI publishes an ISO20k Self Assessment document (ISBN 0580479234), and
    Another nice book is ISO/IEC 2000 (ISBN 0979235987), and 
    Achieving ISO 20000 book series, and 
    COBIT provides free documentation for an IT Governance management framework at www.isaca.org.

Remember "cost savings from standardized processes far outweigh the benefits of custom processes"

JJ
    Friday, September 5, 2008 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi ZCBD, Very good question. Let's strat with some (summary) definitions:

MOF: It is practical guidance for everyday IT practices and activities, helping users establish and implement reliable, cost-effective IT services.

ITIL: A framework of best practice techniques to facilitate the delivery of high-quality information technology services. ITIL outlines an exhaustive set of management procedures to support organizations in achieving both value and quality in IT operations.

ITSM: It is an approach that combines proven methods such as process management and known in-dustry best practices, in the area of IT Service Management, to enable any organization to de-liver quality IT services that satisfy customer business needs and achieve performance targets specified within service level agreements.

Well, I think that MOF is the Microsoft approach about ITIL and both are methods to implement and use ITSM. In my opinion you have to use MOF and ITIL to achieve the ITSM.

YES, the MOF 3.0 has certification and the MOF 4.0 will be an exam soon, take mor info here:  http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/94b8b078-d763-4923-8947-99cf467e73d9

And if you have questions about MOF 4.0 see this http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/158fa944-9ded-496a-9285-bdd34bb57a5f , if you want more detailed information about MOF 3 & 4 look this http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/MOF4/thread/ab4cdac9-7cb4-4786-8159-4871f3f425f5

Hope that helps. Good luck in your projects my friend,

Best Regards

Cleber Marques

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I forget it J

I think you need to contact a specialized professional or consultant to help you on this issue. This will be more easy and fast way.

Good luck

Cleber Marques

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Consider looking into ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management to provide extra validation to your MOF and ITIL efforts. 

Van Haren has a nice ISO 20k pocket guide (ISBN 978907721290) and
    BSI publishes an ISO20k Self Assessment document (ISBN 0580479234), and
    Another nice book is ISO/IEC 2000 (ISBN 0979235987), and 
    Achieving ISO 20000 book series, and 
    COBIT provides free documentation for an IT Governance management framework at www.isaca.org.

Remember "cost savings from standardized processes far outweigh the benefits of custom processes"

JJ
    Friday, September 5, 2008 6:58 PM
  • I’m marking this post as answered, if you need any help about MOF please open a new thread. J

Thank you,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management

Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:16 AM