Toolbar and Start Menu issue for Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I recently was fiddling around and accidentally got rid of my explorer.exe file, (I think i sent it to my recycle bin and may have deleted it?). Once i realized this I simply typed it in as a new task and it reappeared.  The problem I am having is that ever since then I have had no toolbar or start menu.  I have tried to access it through the control panel that doesn't work; I have tried Ctrl Esc that doesn't work, I have tried everything I can think of? What is weird is all my desktop icons are fine, and for some reason if I phantom click my mouse in the lower right corner of the screen I will randomly open programs usually on my toolbar, I can even drag them to my desktop.  I have tried to find an area, if my toolbar is down there somewhere?, to drag it back on my screen but this has been done with no success.  Another thing is when I start my computer in safe mode my toolbar appears with my start menu icon?  Does anyone know what the problem may be???  I am running windows vista home premium; operating system: 64 bit
    j1234j
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the symptom, the issue disappears in Safe Mode, this indicates certain third party software causes conflict somewhere. Let us prepare clean boot to narrow down the issue.

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi littletike, you said..

accidentally got rid of my explorer.exe file, (I think i sent it to my recycle bin and may have deleted it?).

You might try UNdeleting the explorer.exe - there's several ways to do it if the original location hasn't already been overwritten. Otherwise see if you can restore the file from a backup, preferably again a copy of it prior to you losing the toolbar and start menu. If you can't find a backup of it try running a diagnostic on your windows OS and correcting any explorer errors you find. might just be a missing parameter, it's not usual to run explorer.exe in user mode - try logging off and logging on again. If you can't fix it then you might have to try what Carey suggested. Do a system restore from a point just before you deleted the file.

All the best with it.

pkn2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• Try using System Restore.  Please see: System Restore: frequently asked questions
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, July 8, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi littletike, you said..

accidentally got rid of my explorer.exe file, (I think i sent it to my recycle bin and may have deleted it?).

You might try UNdeleting the explorer.exe - there's several ways to do it if the original location hasn't already been overwritten. Otherwise see if you can restore the file from a backup, preferably again a copy of it prior to you losing the toolbar and start menu. If you can't find a backup of it try running a diagnostic on your windows OS and correcting any explorer errors you find. might just be a missing parameter, it's not usual to run explorer.exe in user mode - try logging off and logging on again. If you can't fix it then you might have to try what Carey suggested. Do a system restore from a point just before you deleted the file.

All the best with it.

pkn2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:19 PM
  • btw. When you typed in explorer.exe as a task did you run it as an Administrator. See if you have that option by right clicking on the most recent explorer.exe you can find.They all live in one of several system subfolders on the path C:\Windows\winsxs\*\explorer.exe where *=a time/version stamped directory - with a name some 50+ characters long. You could also try running it from there instead..

Regards, pkn2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

According to the symptom, the issue disappears in Safe Mode, this indicates certain third party software causes conflict somewhere. Let us prepare clean boot to narrow down the issue.

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:10 AM