none
SQL 2019 - Missing "Allow Enclave Computations" & No enclave provider found for enclave type 'SIMULATOR' RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to configure Secure Enclaves, in SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.3.

I have built an attestation service, which seems to be working, and I have registered the SQL Computer's certificate with the Attestation Service. 

I have configured the enclave type as VBS, and used trace flag 127, to enable enclave computations, as below:

However, when I try to create a column master key, there is no option to "Allow Enclave Computations", as per the MSDN tutorial

If I try to connect to the instance, with Always Encrypted enabled, I get the following error:

No enclave provider found for enclave type 'SIMULATOR'. Please specify the provider in the application configuration.  (System.Data)

I know we are in CTP, so it may just be buggy, but wondered if anybody else had come across this, or knew how to work around it?

Pete

• Edited by SQLPete79 Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:07 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:06 PM

All replies

• There is certainly more than one way you can fail to get Always Encrypted with Enclaves working, as there are quite a few steps you need to take.

I had some problems with this, and amongst other things, I got the error about the simulator. In my case, the issue was that I had not enabled my VM for VBS (Virtualization Based Security.)

Since I don't know your exact configuration, I cannot give more detaild advice. (And since it was a a few months I played with, I don't have everything fresh.)

What operating systems are you using?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Hi SQLPete79,

Which version of SSMS are you using? You need SSMS 18.0 or later. It supports Always Encrypted with secure enclaves in SQL Server 2019 preview. Please refer to SQL Server computer requirements and you can download SSMS 18.0 (RC1) from here.

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, April 12, 2019 1:50 AM
  • Hi SQLPete79,

Any update? If you have resolved your issue, please close the thread by marking the useful reply as answer. So that it will be easier for other community members to find the useful ones.

Thanks for your contribution:-)

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, April 15, 2019 5:19 AM
  • I have this exact problem and am unable to fix it so far :(
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Checking SSMS source code revealed that the checkbox is visible when the sys.dm_column_encryption_enclave table has one or more rows, which is not the case for me.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:41 PM