Software installation in windows xp SP3 and 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear gentlemen,

I work as an IT technician in an organization.I realize one of my users who is just a member of ‘domain users’ group in my domain is able to install Firefox 4.1 in her computer. As far as I know, domain users should not be able to install any application by default in their computers. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Is there any way to restrict that member of installing the applications?

Thanks and regards,

Bahman

Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't know about FireFox in particular, but with the modern operating sysetms, if the application installs entirely as a user application (i.e., doesn't require any privilege escalation during installation), it can be installed just fine.

That said, you might scout around in the policy editor under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Installer.

-Noel

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Maybe the installation of Firefox does not need high privilege. If you want to restrict the installation, try AppLocker.

Windows 7 Walkthrough: AppLocker
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7a919629-4d8b-43c5-8115-78bc30a187c2

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:36 AM