Error during Installation SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have a problem during installation Sql server 2014 express.

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Sqlwep-uni-(6ea5e4b0-1184-4abb-a183-ef55d5a9a78a).mof' because it is being used by another process.

if i skip this error, sql server failed and reporting service failed in installation and sql server can't start.

I try to open sql server configuration manager an start SQL service but cannot start  with error:

"the request failed or the service didn't respond in a timely fashion.Consult the event log or other applicable error log for details"

How to fix this problem?

Best Regards,

Surbakti

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Surbakti,

Could you please share the full error message of installation to us for analysis? You will find it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt. What’s more, we also need the detail.txt from ****_****\Details.txt. You can share them by using onedrive.

Firstly, the MOF file is the file of SQL Server WMI Provider, which are compiled automatically by SQL Server Setup. The WMI provider is a published layer that is used with the SQL Server Configuration Manager snap-in for Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and the Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Secondly, the first issue can occur in the following scenarios:

1.    The .mof file is being used by some other process, you can try to use this tool to find if some other process is using this file.
    2.    The installation process has no permission to read this file, please run the installation file with administrator permission.

Thirdly, for the second question, because SQL Server has not installed successfully, we cannot use it normally, besides, sql server configuration manager need to use wmi.

Regards,
    Teige
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:26 AM

All replies

• Refer following link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/3043762

you must use the Netstat.exe utility at the command line to see if another process is using port 80 or port 443.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/890015

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:27 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 9:40 PM
  • Hi Surbakti,

Could you please share the full error message of installation to us for analysis? You will find it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt. What’s more, we also need the detail.txt from ****_****\Details.txt. You can share them by using onedrive.

Firstly, the MOF file is the file of SQL Server WMI Provider, which are compiled automatically by SQL Server Setup. The WMI provider is a published layer that is used with the SQL Server Configuration Manager snap-in for Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and the Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Secondly, the first issue can occur in the following scenarios:

1.    The .mof file is being used by some other process, you can try to use this tool to find if some other process is using this file.
    2.    The installation process has no permission to read this file, please run the installation file with administrator permission.

Thirdly, for the second question, because SQL Server has not installed successfully, we cannot use it normally, besides, sql server configuration manager need to use wmi.

Regards,
    Teige
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Hi Surbati,

Can you restart server /machine ?What operating system you are using ?

After restarting try for installation.

Share also summary.text mention by Teige.

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

• Edited by AV111 Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:15 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:14 PM
  • I am facing similar issue woth SQL Server 2014 or Sql Server 2008 on my Windows 10 PC. Please help me to get rid of it
    • Edited by coolRitesh Friday, February 24, 2017 4:56 PM More description
    Friday, February 24, 2017 4:55 PM