none
Temporary Master Gantt updates are not being reflected in Subprojects (PWA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am looking for more detailed understanding of temporary master gantts and managing updates with them.

I have 14 different projects published on PWA. I am attempting to create a temporary master gantt to manage/update the 14 different projects.  

During weekly update/progress meetings with my team, I create a temporary Master Gantt for presentation. (Open PWA<select>Highlight the 14 different projects--in the Project Center<Select> Open--in Ribbon<select> In Microsoft Project for Editing). My MS Project 2013 opens a temporary Master Gantt with 14 projects as subprojects. (perfect...that is what I want)

After updating progress and correcting any edits,  I attempt to save the changes.  [MS Project (File > Save) ]

I am then prompted to a "Save As" Screen when I need to name the file. [need your help now]  ..... do I name the file? Then continue to "Publish" the new Master?  I'm lost, How do I "sync" the 14 different projects to the edits without creating a permanent master gantt? -- I have tried the above steps (as a test run) and PWA consolidated the 14 Projects into one Project (PWA Project Center).  This is not what I want.  I need to have the 14 projects separated in PWA.

What am I missing or not understanding?

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After making the changes to your projects, you can simply close the temporary master project and at the prompt select No

and at the next prompt select 'Yes to all' to save the changes to all your projects

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by C-Hansen Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:29 PM
  • As Dale said, the changes are not published and only saved in the Draft area. All the projects will need to be published in order to see the updates in PWA as PWA will display the published information only

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/project-help/save-and-publish-a-project-to-project-web-app-HA102809569.aspx

Paul

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

What you will need to do is to open each one of the 14 projects and publish the changes. If the projects are not published, the changes will remain in the draft area meaning the team members cannot see the changes in PWA. If you try to publish the temporary master project, then you will be prompted to save changes etc.

So your steps will be like:

1. Create the temporary master project

2. Make changes to the subprojects

3. Close master project without saving

4. Save all subprojects

To publish the changes:

1. Open the 14 projects in Edit mode (can be either PWA or MS Project)

2. Publish changes; Publish button available:

• on the Schedule pdp/Task tab in PWA and
    • File > Info > Publish in MS Project

Hope this helps

Paul

• Unmarked as answer by C-Hansen Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by C-Hansen Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

After making the changes to your projects, you can simply close the temporary master project and at the prompt select No

and at the next prompt select 'Yes to all' to save the changes to all your projects

Hope this helps

Paul

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I have a few follow up questions.  

I did as you suggested.  When checking the outcome, I found that PWA did not reflect any of the changes; however, when I clicked on an individual project (in the Project Center) opening it in MS Project Pro for additional editing the adjustments were present.  Why did the MS Project reflect the changes but PWA did not?

How do I get the PWA to reflect the adjustments, so my team can see?

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:01 AM
  • C-Hansen --

You actually have to publish the subprojects from the temporary master project in order to see the updates in PWA.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:38 AM
  • As Dale said, the changes are not published and only saved in the Draft area. All the projects will need to be published in order to see the updates in PWA as PWA will display the published information only

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/project-help/save-and-publish-a-project-to-project-web-app-HA102809569.aspx

Paul

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Question: Could you detail how this is accomplished?  I know its probably elementary, I apologize. I just need more clarity.

I thought you were not supposed to save and publish a temporary master to PWA. Reason: (1) It would consolidate the sub-projects into one project in PWA. (2) you run the risk of duplicating tasks in PWA.

I've read and tried the link below (posted by Paul).  In doing so, the 14 projects where condensed into one master project in PWA.  My team needs them to stay separate in PWA project center.  Is this possible?  Is it possible to manage and save changes to several projects without permanently creating a master?  (Is there a better way I don't know of, if not?)

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Thank you Paul, I appreciate the link.  I tried what you suggested.  As I replied to DALE. 

"I've read and tried the link below (posted by Paul).  In doing so, the 14 projects where condensed into one master project in PWA.  My team needs them to stay separate in PWA project center.  Is this possible?  Is it possible to manage and save changes to several projects without permanently creating a master?  (Is there a better way I don't know of, if not?)"

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

What you will need to do is to open each one of the 14 projects and publish the changes. If the projects are not published, the changes will remain in the draft area meaning the team members cannot see the changes in PWA. If you try to publish the temporary master project, then you will be prompted to save changes etc.

So your steps will be like:

1. Create the temporary master project

2. Make changes to the subprojects

3. Close master project without saving

4. Save all subprojects

To publish the changes:

1. Open the 14 projects in Edit mode (can be either PWA or MS Project)

2. Publish changes; Publish button available:

• on the Schedule pdp/Task tab in PWA and
    • File > Info > Publish in MS Project

Hope this helps

Paul

• Unmarked as answer by C-Hansen Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by C-Hansen Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:33 PM