none
Issue with spam filter and email being delayed on the Exchange Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• So I didn't see a choice for Exchange 2010. That's what I'm running. I've been notified by my spam filter company that email is getting delayed being sent. Here are the logs from the spam filter:

rsp: 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>read failed. Error Code=connection closed by peer

after talking with them, their trying to send the email to Exchange, but Exchange is closing the connection.  Email eventually gets sent from Exchange, but not sure why Exchange is closing the connection. I'm on SP3 update rollup 17. What should I be looking at on Exchange to troubleshoot?

Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To troubleshooting your issue, I want to confirm:
    1. Is it a spam filter device (or app) between your Exchange server and Internet, and all message need to deliver this device then route out?
    2. Does this issue occur on all outbound mail flow, or only send to some special domains?
    3. Is there any special send connector that point to this device?

If so, I recommend to enable protocol log (default location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend) in this connector, then we can analyze this log to find out more details about this issue.

Enable Protocol Logging:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.141).aspx

Analyze protocol log:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23182.analyzing-the-protocol-logs-and-message-tracking-logs-in-exchange-2013.aspx

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:28 AM
  • 1) Yes, it's a spam filter device (hosted) that is between my Exchange Server and the Internet. Yes, so all messages route to this spam filter then route out to Exchange.

2) According to the logs on the spam filter, this only happens on inbound email that gets delayed.

3) I'll have to check if there is a Send connector that points to the spam filter. This only started happening about 2 weeks ago.

I'll enable protocol logging and let you know the results.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:38 AM
  • Hello,

Any update about this issue?

I notice that this issue only happens on inbound mail flow, I recommend to use message header analyzer to double confirm, then enable the protocol log on receive connector (used to mail flow between spam device and your Exchange).

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:32 AM