ntoskrnl.exe BSOD on new Notebook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Ever since I've purchased my notebook: HP DV6-2119TX I keep recieving  BSODs (at least once, sometimes twice a day) at random. At the time of the BSOD the only programs that I have running are ie explorer, firefox, avast anti-virus, vlc, windows explorer, IDT audio control panel, and windows messenger.

I've anaylsed the .dump files from the BSOD and all have lead to the file ntoskrnl.exe being the root cause. However, windows report different problems within each BSOD:

- The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I will upload the .dump files so that someone could properly analyse them.

Edit: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/crashes-debugging/78975d1276665037-ntoskrnl-exe-bsod-new-hp-notebook-bluescreen.zip

• Edited by dvstudio3 Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:20 AM Uploaded BSOD
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:55 AM

Answers

• The variety and characteristics of the blue screens suggests you may be experiencing memory corruption or faulty hardware.  

You have a number of stale (pre-Win7 RTM) drivers installed. Uninstall these drivers or the software they came with, or update them, and check the behavior:

speedfan.sys 9/24/2006

pcouffin.sys 12/5/2006

ElbyCDIO.sys 1/14/2009

AnyDVD.sys 1/16/2009

HpqKbFiltr.sys 4/29/2009

AVerBDA716x_x64.sys 6/5/2009

enecir.sys 6/28/2009 

I'd wonder about the IR driver enecir.sys specifically, because it seems I've seen it involved in similar reports.

You also have Daemon Tools / Top Alcohol installed.  I'd suggest uninstalling that (make sure its sptd.sys driver gets removed) and checking behavior as well.

Please upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link (unless the 3 dumps you uploaded were all that were there).

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

For memory corruption cases such as you seem to be experiencing, it can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

After analyzing the minidump files, I find the memory corruption error.

Based on the current situation, If you have more than one memory stick installed, you may try to unplug one to test the issue.

What’s the result?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:21 AM

All replies

• The variety and characteristics of the blue screens suggests you may be experiencing memory corruption or faulty hardware.  

You have a number of stale (pre-Win7 RTM) drivers installed. Uninstall these drivers or the software they came with, or update them, and check the behavior:

speedfan.sys 9/24/2006

pcouffin.sys 12/5/2006

ElbyCDIO.sys 1/14/2009

AnyDVD.sys 1/16/2009

HpqKbFiltr.sys 4/29/2009

AVerBDA716x_x64.sys 6/5/2009

enecir.sys 6/28/2009 

I'd wonder about the IR driver enecir.sys specifically, because it seems I've seen it involved in similar reports.

You also have Daemon Tools / Top Alcohol installed.  I'd suggest uninstalling that (make sure its sptd.sys driver gets removed) and checking behavior as well.

Please upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link (unless the 3 dumps you uploaded were all that were there).

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

For memory corruption cases such as you seem to be experiencing, it can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:51 AM
  • technocrate's posts are often taken from another thread or source of questionable relevance to the topic at hand, and pasted with a questionable link at the end.  In this case, the source is Nano Warp's response in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/4c400eb6-51be-4a64-ad01-c5acd15bc12b

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:54 AM
  • On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 05:48:34 +0000, technocrate wrote:

> Anti-virus programs sometimes leave behind items that conflict with other anti-virus programs or the OS. Having tested all the available trials for Win 7 here , I have found Kaspersky and ESET to be the least compromising on system resources and the achieve very high marks from all independent tests.

Just a clarification here: ESET is the name of a company. Their
    anti-virus product is called NOD32.

I agree; NOD32 in my view is the best of the anti-virus programs
    available.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Hi,

After analyzing the minidump files, I find the memory corruption error.

Based on the current situation, If you have more than one memory stick installed, you may try to unplug one to test the issue.

What’s the result?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:21 AM